World travel

CazC

Does anyone have experience of getting medication abroad and/or sending it abroad? Want to avoid carrying too much in luggage and going away for 6 weeks to USA and New Zealand.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Should be easy enough to take enough for six weeks.
Use frio bags.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone have experience of getting medication abroad and/or sending it abroad? Want to avoid carrying too much in luggage and going away for 6 weeks to USA and New Zealand.

What sort of medication are you talking about? You could find some challenges with Customs at the other end.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
What sort of medication are you talking about? You could find some challenges with Customs at the other end.

New Zealand customs are happy if you tell them you have 3 months of medication.

It's a good idea to have a letter from your doctor listing your medication, though in 40 years of travelling I've only needed it once. If you need to get extra medication in New Zealand it'll cost you somewhere between $50 and $100 (I think $50 but I don't remember exactly) to get a script from a doctor, and then the cost of the medication: insulin is expensive but nowhere as bad as it would be in the US. I'd recommend taking enough with you for the whole trip - 3 months isn't that long.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
New Zealand customs are happy if you tell them you have 3 months of medication.

It's a good idea to have a letter from your doctor listing your medication, though in 40 years of travelling I've only needed it once. If you need to get extra medication in New Zealand it'll cost you somewhere between $50 and $100 (I think $50 but I don't remember exactly) to get a script from a doctor, and then the cost of the medication: insulin is expensive but nowhere as bad as it would be in the US. I'd recommend taking enough with you for the whole trip - 3 months isn't that long.

@CazC , the thread starter talks of sending medication overseas. That was the basis for my comment.

MyTravelTips

I travel frequently all over the world, and have never had any issues with border staff. I wave my bag of goodies at them and say it's my diabetic medication. Have only once been asked for a dr's letter.

malky39

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Cant comment on New Zeland, but for the USA take all the medication you need for the time there. As we all know anything medical over there is not cheap for example. Two year ago I was in New York and needed to get insulin, trip to the doctors for a prescription £100, two 10ml vials of novo rapid £600

beckysalvage

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @CazC,

I would advise taking all your medication, plus extra! I travel frequently, and both NZ and the USA will let you take in your insulin/medical supplies no problem. I second the point of having a doctors note, although I have also never been asked for it! I spent ~3 months in NZ, and 1 year in the USA (travelled back to the UK every 4 months or so) and never had any issues getting it through security etc. I also have good travel insurance (diabetes UK have one specific for diabetic needs!), although again I have never had to use it for diabetic related reasons!

Have a great trip!