Any one know of a Keto friendly cough remedy

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had a cold and it has left me with a dry cough. I have been awake with it for the last 3 nights. All the syrups and cough sweets in the supermarket / pharmacy contain some form of sugar so are off limits. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me stop coughing long enough to get some sleep.
Thanks in advance

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks but I am Tea total.
However I may resort to that if I can't get some sleep soon I am getting desperate!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had a cold and it has left me with a dry cough. I have been awake with it for the last 3 nights. All the syrups and cough sweets in the supermarket / pharmacy contain some form of sugar so are off limits. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me stop coughing long enough to get some sleep.
Thanks in advance

Bildlad, I'm sure there are some sugar-free cough medicines around. Why not have a word with your pharmacist? They're usually fab on these things.

Alternatively, if it's really bad, if it's only at night, and likely to last just a few days, it wouldn't be the end of the world to have "normal".

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bildlad, excuse the consecutive posts, but if you ask DrGoogle about "sugar free cough linctus", there are several out there.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Simple linctus and Strepsils throat lozenges are available in sugar free versions. Hope you feel better soon.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are ok with herbal remedies Vogel .
Make one called Broncaforce not sure of the spelling !.It works for me
Carol

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find golden milk helps. There are several recipes online, but this is nearest to my method. I use almond or coconut milk, but think it is ok whatever milk you choise. I don’t use a sweetner, through choice, but if cough is really bothersome I will use a half teaspoon of honey.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/golden-milk-turmeric#section11

I also use steam inhalation before trying to sleep. Just run hot shower without ventilation. Then menthol crystals in hot water, or if too tired just use Vick vapour rub on tissue on pillows. Prop up with extra pillow and try to relax.
Hope you feel better soon, @Bildad .

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Night Nurse capsules? It will knock you out and give your cough a rest.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
If it's a dry cough and keeps you awake in a bad way, could you ask your GP for codeine?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Night Nurse capsules? It will knock you out and give your cough a rest.

Yes, I use these myself, and have found them excellent.

However, each time I buy them, I scrutinise the pack, and sometimes ask the pharmacist if they are suitable.
Sometimes these manufacturers change the formulations without us knowing.

Reactions: Flora123

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the suggestions.
I asked at the local pharmacy and their recommendation was Pholcodine sugar free.
I am armed with that for tonight and hopefully that and paracetamol and sudafed and sugar free sweets should see me through the night.
If not I may well adopt Caligula's remedy of chopping off my head!!!
I will try to let ypu know how it went - Internet permitting.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Chopping off your head will most definitely stop the cough. On the other hand, it's not easy to do and the side effects are pretty serious too.
I'd like you to opt for less definite treatments first!

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have an Internet connection but not sure for how long. I survived the night on Pholcodine, paracetamol, Fisherman's friends (I know they aren't sugar free) and Sudafed. I am still coughing but it is better than it was. I slept a whole 4hours in one go last night

Reactions: Rachox

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have an Internet connection but not sure for how long. I survived the night on Pholcodine, paracetamol, Fisherman's friends (I know they aren't sugar free) and Sudafed. I am still coughing but it is better than it was. I slept a whole 4hours in one go last night
Happy to hear your head is still firmly attached to the rest of you, and also happy to hear things are starting to get a little better!