Hba1c level - Reverse Diabetes

nezer007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone, I have been a Type 2 diabetic for about 4 years having an initial Hba1c level of 112.

Since diagnosed, I have gradually reduced my levels down to 68, then 50 and today my blood tests results sow a Hba1c level of 45. Most recently I think this achieved through exercise and diet.

I am seeking advice on what level should I aim for so I can stop taking medication and having reversed my Type2 diabetes.

Thanking you in advance

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, I have been a Type 2 diabetic for about 4 years having an initial Hba1c level of 112.

Since diagnosed, I have gradually reduced my levels down to 68, then 50 and today my blood tests results sow a Hba1c level of 45. Most recently I think this achieved through exercise and diet.

I am seeking advice on what level should I aim for so I can stop taking medication and having reversed my Type2 diabetes.

Thanking you in advance
Right now your HbA1c is still in the prediabetic range. (So yay, no longer in the diabetic one!) If you can get it under 42, you'd be in the normal range and you could discuss coming off your meds with the GP. Well done, and keep it up!
Jo

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Will depend slightly on the medication you are on as well...and what dietary protocol you follow.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
We can't really advise on medication - that is something to discus with your dr or prescribing nurse or expert - but for many type twos it is all about diet with the tablets or other treatment just being a temporary requirement - even insulin in some cases.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done so far - but I think you should not only be reducing your levels but proving that you're able to keep them right down too, before discussing coming off any meds.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe the criteria used to claim 'reversal' for the Newcastle Diet studies are that the patient should be
- off medication
- with an HbA1c result of below 48
- for over 6 months

Which seem to me to be very lax criteria!
There is also some debate as to whether staying on metformin should be considered in the same light as other diabetes medication.

In reality, you will find as many views on 'reversal' and whether the word should even be used, as there are members on this forum. :D

I think there is a lot to be said for the idea that unless you can eat whatever you want, and keep your HbA1c below pre-diabetic levels (which is 42 in the UK and the high 30s in other parts of the world), without relying on medication or lifestyle restriction to achieve that result, then you still have impaired glucose tolerance, and claiming 'reversal' is a misnomer.