Just joined the forum today.

PaulEB

I have just been diagnosed with a Haemoglobin level of 43 HbA1c and advised to change my diet and lose approx. 10kg. I am 90kg and 6'0" and 71yrs! Just bought the 8 week Diet Book by Dr Moseley and following advice. I came across this forum by accident but after reading a few posts can see that it will be very helpful to me. Cheers - Paul

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just been diagnosed with a Haemoglobin level of 43 HbA1c and advised to change my diet and lose approx. 10kg. I am 90kg and 6'0" and 71yrs! Just bought the 8 week Diet Book by Dr Moseley and following advice. I came across this forum by accident but after reading a few posts can see that it will be very helpful to me. Cheers - Paul
I did just that. Lost 10kg in just a few months and reduced my HbA1c to acceptable levels.

Getting down below the low 40s was the hard bit that was achieved on a restricted carb footing.

Reactions: shelley262

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome..
As you have just tripped over into a pre-diabetic diagnosis, it should be fairly easy to get that under control with a few dietary tweaks.
Personally not a Moseley fan but see how you get on with it. A lot of us have found that by keeping carbohydrate consumption to a lower level than DrM recommends we have had stunning changes in HbA1c levels.

Reactions: jjraak

PaulEB

Hi and welcome..
As you have just tripped over into a pre-diabetic diagnosis, it should be fairly easy to get that under control with a few dietary tweaks.
Personally not a Moseley fan but see how you get on with it. A lot of us have found that by keeping carbohydrate consumption to a lower level than DrM recommends we have had stunning changes in HbA1c levels.
Well done - great achievement

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Reactions: jjraak

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome to the forum,

This is a great place to find information, advice and support. My first bit of advice is that if you do not have a meter you should get one and test regularly. Initially before each meal and 2 hours after.

Good luck and welcome.

sportyboston

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome to the forum. I joined about six weeks ago after a diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes and have found it valuable and informative. I am sure you will too! Good luck on your new journey.

CliveUK

Hi, welcome to the forum. I'm in similar situation with recent test result of 42 HbA1c. I've tweaked my diet and bought a glucose monitor to try and track my progress.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey @PaulEB ,

Welcome to the club! You're just over the threshold, so it should be relatively easy to get your numbers back down. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ is my own quick-start-guide, but there's a lot more information on this forum's website (diabetes.co.uk) and dietdoctor.com. And Dr. jason Fung's The Diabetes Code is an excellent read as well.

You'll have this licked in no time at all. ;)
Jo

Reactions: ~Noodles~

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do be aware though that the first thing to think about is your blood glucose level - lower that by reducing the intake of carbs and you might very well find that your weight drops without you even thinking about it.
There is such an emphasis on weight that anyone would think it caused diabetes......

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do be aware though that the first thing to think about is your blood glucose level - lower that by reducing the intake of carbs and you might very well find that your weight drops without you even thinking about it.
There is such an emphasis on weight that anyone would think it caused diabetes......
I find that since shedding 10kg that not only has my blood pressure reduced but I am a lot more agile and less tired. It’s like a quadruple whammy.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that since shedding 10kg that not only has my blood pressure reduced but I am a lot more agile and less tired. It’s like a quadruple whammy.
Oh, yes - I lost 50lb or more (officially a little less, but I stopped actually weighing myself in despair) I've gone back to work and taken up with a team of morris dancers - actually two, and there is the Longsword and maypole in season too. I did not have to try to lose weight, I must just have left it somewhere. One day I found my clothes were falling off - luckily not in public.

Reactions: SaskiaKC