Approved Online study to find out why do some people with diabetes experience emotional distress?

At present, it is unclear why some people living with type 1 and type 2 diabetes experience emotional distress and others do not. We are interested in what psychological factors may explain this. This understanding will help to develop more effective treatment strategies in the future.

Taking part in the study will involve completing an online questionnaire. You DO NOT need to have experienced emotional distress to take part.

To take part you must:
· Be aged 18 or above
· Have a diagnosis of type 1 or type 2 diabetes
· Be able to complete questionnaires in English by yourself

If you choose to take part, you will be asked to complete the questionnaire on four separate occasions. In order for us to get in touch with you on these occasions, and to enter you into the prize draw, we will need to take some contact details on completion of the first survey. Contact details will be kept private and confidential and stored separately from the survey responses.

For more detailed information on the study, please follow the link below:

https://livpsych.eu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eyZ7W69mV81ibZz

Edited by Mod to add link.

Last edited by a moderator:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmmmmmm, I would say generally because some people are more emotionally distressed in the first place and it's mostly down to the fact we are all individuals?

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Done, although fyi I found some of the questions (especially in the last section with 0- 100 answers) felt a little double negative that could be answered the wrong way round.
May have just been me!

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Yet again, little or no thought given to nationalities who might care to assist. :banghead:

Who screens this stuff?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yet again, little or no thought given to nationalities who might care to assist. :banghead:

Who screens this stuff?

Do you mean people who don't speak English, or people not in the UK?

If its the language, their funding may not have paid for the relevant translation services, and with something like diabetes you'd really want someone to know the language fluently and know about the subject to make sure the context is correct (I do have experience of this in my last job - we did bespoke systems and ended up having to get the companies we were doing it for to provide the translations they wanted to make sure it make sense and the context was correct).

If you're talking about different countries the details do say
'Are there any benefits in taking part?
There will be no direct benefit to you. The information we get may though help the NHS better support people with diabetes in the future.'
So I'm guessing they do want info for the UK for this and it's just simpler to only include people who use the NHS. This doesn't make it a bad survey, it makes it a more specific survey - which they possibly should have stated (if they haven't, I haven't read it all)

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I'm Australian, speak English and if you post a survey, make it clear it does NOT include other nationalities.

Not the first time I've said this but it should be clearly outlined at the start. No worries @Rokaab

Reactions: sorchao

Dalkeyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why is the study restricted to types 1 and 2? Are the researchers aware that there are other classifications? I have type 3c diabetes caused by haemochromatosis. That said, I'm pretty emotionally stable. But maybe all 3cs are. We'll never know from this study. :cat:

lollyann1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm Australian, speak English and if you post a survey, make it clear it does NOT include other nationalities.

Not the first time I've said this but it should be clearly outlined at the start. No worries @Rokaab

Stay cool life is too short to worry about everything

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Why is the study restricted to types 1 and 2? Are the researchers aware that there are other classifications? I have type 3c diabetes caused by haemochromatosis. That said, I'm pretty emotionally stable. But maybe all 3cs are. We'll never know from this study. :cat:
Do you know you can change your profile on here to say T3C?

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for the link, sounds interesting
I’ll check and complete.
I caught the thread re diabetes and distress, as a few nurses thought my type two could have been caused by recent stress.