Im worried / need help advice

britishbabe1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone im looking for a bit of advice . I received my HBA1c results and they have gone up a little from 3 months ago . Im already on metformin , Algoliptin and Glimepiride what im worried about is what will they give me next

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@britishbabe1. Many type2 ‘s on the forum find that diet can help with control and a reduction in medication needs.
Hopefully some will be along soon to offer advice and useful tips.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Hi everyone im looking for a bit of advice . I received my HBA1c results and they have gone up a little from 3 months ago . Im already on metformin , Algoliptin and Glimepiride what im worried about is what will they give me next

What's a little?

britishbabe1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have trouble with food im seeing a dietician for eating disorders and a psychologist I feel like im failing

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi britishbabe1, many of us type 2s get our HbA1c down by eating a low carb diet. I don’t know what troubles you have with food but have a read here and see if you think you could manage it. You may be able to get your HbA1c down too without the need for more medication:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Firstly indeed as Rachox has said type 2 can be managed by diet, exercise and weight loss. But eating issues do make it more difficult. Hope you can find a way to manage to get your HBA1C levels down. I struggled with binge eating disorder for a long time, but after type 2 diagnosis manage it a lot better now, and have been diabetes med free for nearly 6 months.

Reactions: DJC3

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have ARFID and Bulimia i struggle with all food
Oof, that must be really difficult... You say "all food", but is there any way you can figure out what would agree with you both in blood sugar and your eating disorders? (You could binge 6 bags of pork scratchings and your bloodsugars wouldn't give a blip, for instance. If that's something you would eat. Cheese could be anothere example.) https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ might help a little with suggestions, but all in all... Try to seek out what fits your particular needs. There's got to be something, somewhere that'll help. Are you seeing someone about the food issues?

Hang in there.
HUGS,
Jo

Colin of Kent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Okay, I'm type 1 rather than type 2, and I don't know much about eating disorders, but...

I would say, focus on your eating habits first. It may be difficult, but try to put your worries about the diabetes to one side, in the short- to medium-term. I think that unless you can get your eating habits to a sensible place, you'll always be facing an uphill struggle with the diabetes.

By the way, it may or may not help in your case, but I'm currently halfway through an excellent book which explains very clearly how all our preferences around food are formed. It's called 'First Bite' by Bee Wilson.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Hello @britishbabe1 . There is a forum/area specifically for diabetes with eating disorders @DWED I'm wondering if you've been in contact with them yet? Maybe I've got the title out of sync - maybe @DCUKMod could help my accuracy please?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello @britishbabe1 . There is a forum/area specifically for diabetes with eating disorders @DWED I'm wondering if you've been in contact with them yet? Maybe I've got the title out of sync - maybe @DCUKMod could help my accuracy please?

Struma - DWED is a charity focused solely on T1 + eating disorders, so, not their areas of expertise at all.

I'm not at all suggesting that @britishbabe1 contacting them is a no-no, but I feel confident DWED and britishbabe wouldn't be a great fit.

As others suggest @britishbabe1 , sorting out some eating routine would help guide how you could be supported i n managing your T2.

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
Struma - DWED is a charity focused solely on T1 + eating disorders, so, not their areas of expertise at all.

I'm not at all suggesting that @britishbabe1 contacting them is a no-no, but I feel confident DWED and britishbabe wouldn't be a great fit.

As others suggest @britishbabe1 , sorting out some eating routine would help guide how you could be supported i n managing your T2.
OK, and thanks for help.

britishbabe1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Im working with a dietician to stop restricting , bingeing & purging as well as not eating the same food for weeks on end as i cant physical eat lots of different foods Thanks for helping i will just wait i till go on friday to see what happens

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im working with a dietician to stop restricting , bingeing & purging as well as not eating the same food for weeks on end as i cant physical eat lots of different foods Thanks for helping i will just wait i till go on friday to see what happens

Hi again, britishbabe, it's really very good that you're getting some support for your eating issues. Are you also working with, say, a psychologist to help you with the mental aspects of what may be impacting your condition and some of the feelings you may have relating to food?

I haven't been affected by either of the conditions you mention here, but I did have a period in my earlier life where I lived for a number of years with anorexia. The feelings and actions we have with eating disorders can be challenging to change, but thankfully there can be great success stories, where the help is right to the person's needs.

Stick with it. Life is a lot easier once we're freed from some of those harmful cycles.