Back to school

Sweetwii044

Dislikes
Diabetes, Sometimes Parents, Homework
Hi
I was wondering if anyone had any good tips for diabetes at secondary school. I was diagnosed 2 years ago (year 7) but the school aren't that good and whenever I get a new teacher or go into a new class I have to explain everything. Once the teacher didn't have time to listen and tried to put me in detention for 'playing with my phone' of course it was my monitor. If anyone has any good tips I would really appreciate it, I'm on an insulin pump which makes things better (ish) but (believe it or not) I'm the only kid there out of 1200 pupils and they're a bit scared of it all
Thx Charlotte

annettekp

Hi

Would your diabetes nurse go in to the school and do some training with the staff and leave some information to hand out to all the teachers you have? Or even give you some official looking info to hand out. How about you and/or the nurse offering to do a quick information session at a staff meeting? Or get the school involved in fundraising for Diabetes UK so they have to learn a bit more about it?

I realise that we are lucky with my son's school. We live in a rural area and out of a school roll of 30 there are 2 type 1 diabetic children.

Good luck

Annette

Sweetwii044

Dislikes
Thanks I'll ask her, I've just moved hospitals because of problems with my old one. So i'll talk to my nurse, she probably wont be able to though cause we're out of the catchment area. I'm putting together an info book as I type this. As for fund-raising they're not intrested as all the money we raise go's to kenya

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Both my sister and her husband are teachers (in Australia) and my brother-in-law has made the mistake of accusing a child with diabetes of playing with a mobile phone when it was the insulin pump. It is difficult in secondary school when you have so many different teachers who see many classes. I hope you wear your medic id at school. Here, we have one teacher who is called a pastoral care teacher who oversees a large group of students and this is the person who I would contact about things regarding my high school son (not T1). This teacher would then pass on information to his class teachers either on a student free day when they have lots of meetings together or individually if required. You are somewhat on your own in high school but the school should have enough information and duty of care to keep you safe should you need help at some stage.

Sweetwii044

Dislikes
I do wear ID and my Head of Year at school does email my teachers but at the beginning of the school year the email was buried and hardly anyone received the message. I go back to school on Tuesday and am going to count how many have read their emails and how many have not. My school are scared of Diabetes cause I've only just found out they're is a 6th former who is T1 but his mum works at our school so with me its a bit different. If I was to have a bad hypo on the field or in the corridor and wasn't with a friend, no one would know what was wrong with me at all. :(