Type 2 What to make of seemingly quick remission?

Somedudeguy

Hello everyone!

40 year old dude here, 181cm 109kg.

I was diagnosed with T2 around 1,5 months ago, with a fasting glucose reading of 7 and a pretty high Hba1c of 77. Due to also having high BP (160/85) the doc wanted to put me on Losartan 100mg and Metformin. After doing some soul searching and reading around a bit I decided to try to fight it by lifestyle changes. Thus I okayed the Losartan but said no to the Metformin. I also started a somewhat strict CICO diet staying between 1600 - 2400 cals most days while keeping my carbs fairly low, around 100-150g each day. I also started doing lots of brisk walks (9-9.30mins/km) totalling 600-1000 cals almost every day. I changed my sleeping habits (it was easier to sleep with all the walking lol) to be more regular and halved my tobacco usage (I do this Swedish "snus" under the lip tobacco). Even with all this I was prepared to fight long and hard to make a significant difference to my condition. Yesterday I had my first follow-up Hba1c testing and I was super nervous. I was hoping for at most a change of 10 or so, also deathly afraid that my changes wouldn't have made any difference at all.

After we had talked over my change in habits the nurse offered me my free glucose meter (dunno why I didn't get one at diagnosis) and while showing me how to use it we did a test. It showed 5.5, 2h after lunch! Both the nurse and the nursing student she had in tow remarked on how good a reading it was and I felt a glimmer of hope. I was still extremely nervous when they left for the lab with my blood work and my mind raced (of course they put a BP meter on me and told me to relax before they left, like waiting for THAT kind of sentence would give a good reading). When they came back they had totally impassive faces and I swore sadly inside. They took my BP, which of course was high, and then came the judgement. I had an Hba1c of... 38! I was both shocked and overjoyed, could hardly believe it. The nurse was almost as happy as me and I left her office feeling like skipping and jumping.

I DO know that this doesn't mean I'm cured, and I still have to watch what I eat. 38 mmol/mol isn't that good on its own either, but hopefully I can bring it down some more with weight loss and better fitness, I have a goal to fight my weight into overweight rather than obesity within 6 months.

Though I also started thinking. Is this a bit too good to be true? Should it even be possible to lower glucose like this? Could my high Hba1c reading have been due to some other faction like heart condition, infection or inflammation in the first place (though of course they did ECG, blood and kidney tests when I was diagnosed)? Or should I just be happy? I feel better, generally, than I have in years. Still, it's hard not to doubt...

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
The HbA1c readings should be 3 months apart, not 1.5. That said, nothing shabby about those figures.

Was it an errant reading? Who knows. But 38 is perfect :))

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone!

40 year old dude here, 181cm 109kg.

I was diagnosed with T2 around 1,5 months ago, with a fasting glucose reading of 7 and a pretty high Hba1c of 77. Due to also having high BP (160/85) the doc wanted to put me on Losartan 100mg and Metformin. After doing some soul searching and reading around a bit I decided to try to fight it by lifestyle changes. Thus I okayed the Losartan but said no to the Metformin. I also started a somewhat strict CICO diet staying between 1600 - 2400 cals most days while keeping my carbs fairly low, around 100-150g each day. I also started doing lots of brisk walks (9-9.30mins/km) totalling 600-1000 cals almost every day. I changed my sleeping habits (it was easier to sleep with all the walking lol) to be more regular and halved my tobacco usage (I do this Swedish "snus" under the lip tobacco). Even with all this I was prepared to fight long and hard to make a significant difference to my condition. Yesterday I had my first follow-up Hba1c testing and I was super nervous. I was hoping for at most a change of 10 or so, also deathly afraid that my changes wouldn't have made any difference at all.

After we had talked over my change in habits the nurse offered me my free glucose meter (dunno why I didn't get one at diagnosis) and while showing me how to use it we did a test. It showed 5.5, 2h after lunch! Both the nurse and the nursing student she had in tow remarked on how good a reading it was and I felt a glimmer of hope. I was still extremely nervous when they left for the lab with my blood work and my mind raced (of course they put a BP meter on me and told me to relax before they left, like waiting for THAT kind of sentence would give a good reading). When they came back they had totally impassive faces and I swore sadly inside. They took my BP, which of course was high, and then came the judgement. I had an Hba1c of... 38! I was both shocked and overjoyed, could hardly believe it. The nurse was almost as happy as me and I left her office feeling like skipping and jumping.

I DO know that this doesn't mean I'm cured, and I still have to watch what I eat. 38 mmol/mol isn't that good on its own either, but hopefully I can bring it down some more with weight loss and better fitness, I have a goal to fight my weight into overweight rather than obesity within 6 months.

Though I also started thinking. Is this a bit too good to be true? Should it even be possible to lower glucose like this? Could my high Hba1c reading have been due to some other faction like heart condition, infection or inflammation in the first place (though of course they did ECG, blood and kidney tests when I was diagnosed)? Or should I just be happy? I feel better, generally, than I have in years. Still, it's hard not to doubt...
Don't be happy. Be OVERJOYED. Proud is a good thing to be right now too. I have to stick to 20 grams of carbs a day or less to get that kind of result. (We're all different, no worries, doesn't mean you got an errant reading, just that I'm probably more messed up than you are, haha). Seriously.... You've done very well. Stick with it, or you might slide back, but.... For now, just breathe easy and know you kicked diabetes ***. Thoroughly. :)

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was fairly fast for me too - getting as low as I have done eating low carb took 6 months without much effort, to be honest. Low carb is a powerful tool on its own, combined with everything else you have done, I am not really surprised.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went from 70 to 45 in two months without being able to exercise (I was waiting for surgery on my feet) when I was diagnosed in May ‘17. Then after a further two months I saw a figure of 36. I have been able to add in exercise since I had my foot ops and have maintained an HbA1c in the 30s ever since. What I’m saying is that your numbers are perfectly believable with the effort you have put in, well done, be pleased and proud!

Last edited:

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Congratulations!
I was getting meter readings into the normal range within 2 weeks on low carb - starting on 100g a day.
My three month HbA1c was fine, although by then I had dropped to 85g carbs a day to get rid of the remnants of the dawn phenomenon.
No exercise, as I am mobility impaired.

I think I was lucky, as I was diagnosed early and I went low carb as soon as I was diagnosed (and refused metformin) - it seems that the quicker we act by low carbing the more likely we are to get into remission.

But I know this change can reverse too, as I'd gone low carb when told I was pre-diabetic a few years earlier, but then slipped back into eating cakes, rice, pasta and chocolate again - just two-three years respite then diabetic. So my advice would be to keep up with your new lifestyle.

Reactions: Somedudeguy

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well done as rather than heading for a lifetime of medications you have made changes that even without losing all of your excess weight have got you to a great place.
I hope you are feeling proud and extra motivated to continue. Note that if you were to eat a little less carb and worry less about those calories, it is possible that you'd continue to lose weight but also that you would not need the sartan any more (carbs cause the body to hang onto fluid).
I am just a type 1 but do work with type 2s so know that many of them aren't willing, able or knowledgeable enough to do what you've done.

Somedudeguy

Note that if you were to eat a little less carb and worry less about those calories, it is possible that you'd continue to lose weight but also that you would not need the sartan any more (carbs cause the body to hang onto fluid).

I didn't know that either, thanks for the info! Since I'd like to eat a pizza or a christmas dinner once in a blue moon recent findings (though so far weak and inconclusive) about blood vessel damage when suddenly eating carbs while on a true low carb diet has me a bit worried though. Also, while I do know low carb works, there's something reassuring for me about measuring and having numbers on my actions in combination with their results. I will keep this new knowledge in mind though.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the reassurances and kind words! It seems like a lot of you guys also managed to fight your diabetes to a clinch and you're all awesome for it.

I now took my fasting glucose two days in a row too, and it was below 5 both times!

Even though I changed things up in my life quite a bit I have fought far harder for far worse rewards, so it makes me a little bit sad that so many people don't even try (though I think a large part is lack of information).

Reactions: ziggy_w and Mike d

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
A sense of belief is far stronger than a sense of grief

Reactions: Somedudeguy

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is a great result! Congratulations.

Am actually deeply envious :D because it has taken me a lot longer and a lot more dietary control to get to mid 30s HbA1c.
So you should be very chuffed and very grateful that the dice have fallen how they have. :D

But (you knew there was going to be a but, didn't you? ;)
I would say that your next biggest hurdle is likely to be complacency.
I mean, after all, if you knocked your HbA1c into submission with those efforts in such a short time, then it makes sense to ease off a bit, doesn't it? Include a few more carbs, skip the odd walk...

I often think that being in your situation is a double edged sword. A situation where it looks fairly easy, so it is easy to take your eye off the ball... and then ooops, a year later, no exercise, no testing, and all the old habits back in place.

So stick with it. :D marathon, not sprint. and find fun, enjoyable ways to sustain your lifestyle changes so that you are walking forwards with anticipation.

And despite my jealousy ;) I am truly delighted for you. :D

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Yeah, great result...Anyone would be super happy with that turn around. Congrats!

Reactions: OrsonKartt