T2, fasting and hyperglycaemia

jah2075

Hi all,

I've ditched my metformin and I've been doing OMAD for three months and lost two and a half stone and other benefits have been great also.

But I'm worried about hyperglycaemia and I'm due to see diabetic GP on Monday who has never been supportive of my fasting.

So, I'm prepared to have two meals a day and retake metformin if I have to until my T2 is in remission if the GP won't sanction my fasting and not taking metformin.

Have any other T2 fasters come off metformin successfully by doing only OMAD without inducing hyperglycaemia?

Many thanks

Jay

M

Member496333

Yes it's not entirely unusual for fasting glucose to trend upwards when going OMAD. It's just the body burning off glucose and is beneficial in the longer term. Ideally you need to be reduced carbohydrate at the same time. If you stop putting glucose in, and keep burning off what's already there, eventually things should settle down. This is of course presuming you still produce sufficient insulin to cover your basal needs.

Welcome to the forums!

Reactions: EllieM

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @jah2075 and welcome.

By the sound of it you are measuring your blood sugar levels so what kind of numbers are you seeing.
I started on this journey using intermittent fasting and an ultra low carb diet and only took metformin for 3 weeks as I reacted very badly to it so yes it can be done.