Type 1'stars R Us

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@MeiChanski A pump is so much easier, you can have 2 or more basal settings so you can switch for the day. At least my Omnipod does. I think all do.

But it is never perfect because our bodies don’t always mind well. So I have DP and it can vary, so I have my settings at the highest in the am that I can without dropping too low on the milder days. So it means I am commonly giving myself a correction bolus as soon as I wake up with my pump too.

@karen8967 Did you get instructions? Because I read through and then I programmed my pump. It will also help you to understand the training more. I actually liked my settings better and kept them instead of the doctors. At the time I dropped low at night so I had milder settings and then I had major DP so I had higher settings at “dawn”. I wasn’t completely right on some of the misc settings though. But by the time I trained I knew exactly how it worked and what they were talking about. The Omnipod had excellent instructions.
There is an instruction book with it but havent had chance to read through it yet but a little card in box says not to do anything on handset till training x

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is an instruction book with it but havent had chance to read through it yet but a little card in box says not to do anything on handset till training x

Hi @karen8967 I found that it helped me watching the videos on Youtube and reading the instruction book before the training. It just gives you that little extra bit of knowledge before your training

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
On second thoughts, and now the vet's cream seems to help with the itch, the visit to the GP this morning was actually quite nice. Prognosis is that the itchy red rash may get worse in the next couple of days but that I'll feel better in general soon. He was visibly and enthousiastically impressed when I found an excuse to mention my latest hba1c that got in a couple of days ago (Was I bragging? I guess I was :D). Bp was 120/80, which will save me some nerves on my diabetes review with DSN and internist next tuesday. And he agreed that using the cream the vet gave me to soothe an infected wound on my dog was fine to use on all the itchy spots :)
That stuff smells so nice, and it's fatty, like vaseline, but doesn't stick to your skin so much :)
It has laurel in it and has a wonderful green colour. So even if it doesn't really help, the happiness from the smell and colour, and the fact I use something from the vet makes me feel better already!

edit: Oh, and I feel very good about myself for having called the hospital to ask if my DSN or internist could be pregnant, as there's a slight possibility it's rubella, and if it is there's a slight possibility I could still transmit it next tuesday.
They aren't pregnant, so I'll just keep my distance from the other patients in the waiting room to make sure I won't endanger any unborn babies :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Diakat

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah I’m waiting for the adjustable basal profiles for different days to come.

I’m slightly panicking, I’ve been in double digits from this morning up until mid day, then shot back up during late afternoon and then came back down in time for work. I was stable for around 4.5hours, I had no food on board and no insulin before shooting back up into double digits going home. (A single jelly bean couldn’t have shot me from 6.2 to 14.8, or could it?!) I have no ketone strips to test if there are any ketones present but I feel really unwell. Not DKA unwell like moderately high unwell - scratchy throat, thirsty, somewhat hungry. I’ve never been this high for so long

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning all, on a rest day today and I’m absolutely KNACKERED. Shift work isn’t too bad, sugars behaving well enough to keep me happy. Went a little high yesterday afternoon but that’s because I’d dosed a little too conservatively for my meal break, as the job is a lot more physical than I’m used to.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,
Diabetes not doing so well. I corrected last night and ate a sandwich then shot up to 19.3 just now. I cannot for the life of me know what’s happening. I’m not ill, I’m not on my period, I’m not stressed... I don’t know if it’s worth going to A&E.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hello friends,
Diabetes not doing so well. I corrected last night and ate a sandwich then shot up to 19.3 just now. I cannot for the life of me know what’s happening. I’m not ill, I’m not on my period, I’m not stressed... I don’t know if it’s worth going to A&E.
I would’t yet. Would change insulin for a new lot and rage blouse first...

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s a new Fiasp cartridge and I’ve increased basal but I wouldn’t know if that’s working. I don’t my ketone levels so that’s stupid of me. If I rage bolus now, I’ll shoot back up into double digits with food and another bolus for food. I’ve been advised by 111 to go to A&E, I feel slight pain in my stomach so I don’t know

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
It’s a new Fiasp cartridge and I’ve increased basal but I wouldn’t know if that’s working. I don’t my ketone levels so that’s stupid of me. If I rage bolus now, I’ll shoot back up into double digits with food and another bolus for food. I’ve been advised by 111 to go to A&E, I feel slight pain in my stomach so I don’t know
Follow the 111 advice then, be safe.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
10:55 18.2, now I’m 17.1. I know I’m a bit insulin resistant but it’s taking a while to go back down

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
10:55 18.2, now I’m 17.1. I know I’m a bit insulin resistant but it’s taking a while to go back down
Go to A&E, they can check your blood ketones and put you on IV insulin if it’s not coming down - no need to call an ambulance though, as they don’t carry insulin or ketone strips, and you wouldn’t be seen any faster anyway. Get a taxi if your boyfriend doesn’t have a car xxx

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @MeiChanski ,

Just been following what's happening with your BGs. (& trying to chop some sense into it..)

You said you have a new Fiasp. But could your basal insulin be off or the pen not working correctly?
I agree with the advice regarding "A&E" & feel the focus should be following that route..

Though to be fair, as a novo rapid user in this position? I wouldn't start to see a drop for at least an hour after correcting with a little peak prior to a slope down in the second hour..
I appreciate you felt hungry. But my personal veiw in these circumstanses. (With BGs as high as you report.)
Eating complicates the situation of adding more blood glucose as it's digested to what needs to be burned in excess..?

Take a full record of what you have dosed & when. Including the amount of carbs you may have consumed.
Also take some hypo treatment with you. I wager you may find your going "the other way" whilst waiting to be seen.

Best wishes.

Reactions: Clivethedrive

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello again,
I went to A&E, BG was sitting at 13.8. No ketones (0.1) present but apparently I’m fighting a throat infection so that’s probably why I’m sky high. Ive increased my basal today and did a double whammy correction and now I’m sitting at 9.8.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello again,
I went to A&E, BG was sitting at 13.8. No ketones (0.1) present but apparently I’m fighting a throat infection so that’s probably why I’m sky high. Ive increased my basal today and did a double whammy correction and now I’m sitting at 9.8.
@MeiChanski glad your BS seems to be sorting itself out. I’m just getting over a cold and my BS is a little higher than usual. Hope you’ll soon feel better xx

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,

Thank you for all the messages. I’ve only managed to come back down to 4.8. I know colds, flu and infections can cause blood glucose levels to go crazy but I didn’t know I was unwell. I’m talking, walking, eating and getting on with my day. It was just my blood glucose was shockly scary. The person I saw to get blood ketones etc checked said I was irresponsible with my diabetes, I’m sitting there like wow I’ve been correcting, drinking, eating and going to work, how could I have known I have a throat infection. I brushed my sore throat for dehydration and not drinking enough.