Problems with controlling Diabetes

Nacchan

Hi there, I'm new here and I would be really greatful if you could help me solve my issue. The thing is that I have diabetes for like 11 years now and it always has been fine untill I went to middle school. It was a time when I started to take care of myself instead of my mom and a time when i got my first insulin pump. Things got worse and my sugar went out of control. My mom was always very strict with my diabetes and my classmates liked to mock me because of it so I guess that's the reason. I recently changed a doctor for the one who is really helpful and all but the thing is that I can't make myself to even want to take care of it. I eat when I want and often forget to give myself the insulin. It's not like I can't take care of it, it's just that i got used to this style of life. I would be happy if you could give me some advices and protips how to slowly change my life. I'm still a teenager and I wanna enjoy my life. I don't want to be limited by this thing and I know that I can live normally.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @Nacchan
Tough isn’t it? What you are describing sounds like burnout to me - reaching the point where it’s all too much to think about and it is too hard to care about. Lots of us go through that. The thing is that it is harming you so you do need to talk to the doctor and get some help to work through it.
Tagging some experienced T1s for you:
@Juicyj @MeiChanski @Jaylee

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Nacchan ,

Welcome to the forum.

School kids can be cruel. But that's usually just a "smoke screen" for thieir own issues & hangups..

I don't feel there is just one way to deal with "burn out." We are all individuals. Personality wise, there are different reasons too?
The fact you are asking & seeking advice from others is a positive start. :)

Small steps regaining managment of T1. There is no standardised "normal" for anyone, but there is a better place to be healthwise & emotionally..

You know where you are now.
Try testing & bolusing for your next meal? Then follow your progress then on by logging it in an app..
& see where it takes you.. Don't wory about the mistakes. Understand, then move forward.

The only limitations are the ones you set for yourself.

Best wishes,

J>

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. I think your story will sound familiar to anyone who started out as a kid with strict rules and parental supervision. For me it was even fun to be a bit special and eat snacks at different times etc or use my syringues as water pistols. Neurotic parents (or so I thought) were there to be wound up!
Then you are on your own having to be self-discipline and live life as if diabetes was your job when most people simply want not to have to think about it at all.
I don't know how you will get to the happy place where you do it but its just habit but know that if you don't it will limit you in any case and possible in a dramatic fashion.
For me it was getting some help psychologically, going on holidays with other diabetic people, a penpal (this was in the 80s!) and now its a pub support group or this forum to problem solve or rant with people who get it.
Perhaps you could pick up 1 good habit a week e.g. today I I will take my bolus with meals at least once or test once or today. then add more good babits only when you've consistently mastered the first one. Prioritise by what you know is where you are tripping up the most and work back from there.
Are you in the US? Adam Brown has written a good e book (free) about dealing with his own type 1 called Bright Spots and Landmines (Diatribe is the site I think).

Reactions: Diakat

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Diakat @Jaylee @NicoleC1971 Thanks for all the useful advices. I think I will start with small steps like measuring my sugar at least 3 times a day or something. Also @NicoleC1971 I'm not in the US but if this book is available in Poland then I will gladly read that.
Sounds good! I wish you all the best and keep us updated on how you're doing if you like :) And of course don't hesitate to tell us when you have an off day where it didn't work as well. It's normal but frustrating.

Here's a link to the book download Nicole mentioned. https://brightspotsandlandmines.org/

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Diakat @Jaylee @NicoleC1971 Thanks for all the useful advices. I think I will start with small steps like measuring my sugar at least 3 times a day or something. Also @NicoleC1971 I'm not in the US but if this book is available in Poland then I will gladly read that.
Here is a YouTube link
I downloaded it for free but it is around on Amazon.
Best of luck with your new 'homework', Let us know how you get on!

Reactions: Diakat

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Nacchan ,

Sounds like a start...
Some more reading which may help you, is Gary Scheiner's Think like a pancreas.

Tangia

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Nacchan! Everything we eat turned to sugar. Rice, bread, pasta, milk, fruit, veg (complex). I have always eaten whatever I wanted & just taken additional fast acting every time I eat. Darla 39yrs Type I. Really need to control high bs. It leads to more complications.