Type 1'stars R Us

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Good morning everyone, awoke on a 5.2, with great readings since yesterday :happy:
Doing a bit of shopping in the town today with my friend. We're going to see the Reindeer who are visiting with Santa today, lunch and soaking up the festive atmosphere and really looking forward to it :)
Wishing you all a lovely Sunday.
Good-morning-on-beautiful-image-of-blue-flower-and-a-lady-bug-600x600.jpg

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Robinredbreast . Sounds like a great planned already.
If and when you see Santa could you ask him if he could pop around my house and re point the damp course for me?:)
Not big on brickwork myself to be honest. BS could go either way.
Have an almost “ festive time “ Sunday everyone.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all,
I'm happy and not
Brilliant blood 4.9 but looked out of the landing window and next door's garden is beginning to flood. They're a little lower than us so your fingers need to be firmly crossed for us.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
@Robinredbreast . Sounds like a great planned already.
If and when you see Santa could you ask him if he could pop around my house and re point the damp course for me?:)
Not big on brickwork myself to be honest. BS could go either way.
Have an almost “ festive time “ Sunday everyone.

Of course I will have a word with Father Christmas and re-point him to your request ;):)

Any other requests from other members, please get them in asap :D:)

Reactions: therower

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I just prepared dinner for tonight and it turned out I made the best marinade I've ever made yesterday to put the meat in overnight :hungry:
Which is of course a very good thing. But I made it whilst trying to ignore a hypo and now I have not a clue what I put in it this time. Thanks diabetes.
Good thing I made a lot, so at least I get to enjoy it for 3 days :)

Also, can you reheat fried cauliflower rice with toppings on your plate in the microwave? I made 3 different dishes to go with it and I want them on top of the rice and not the other way around. If I make the rice freshly every time I need to reheat the dishes separately as well, would be much easier to just make up my plate and heat it all at once.

edit: Make that 2 dishes. I've just burnt the tempeh one in the oven. Never mind, more than enough left!

Last edited:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I managed to get mortar in between the bricks that needed it. Can it be called re pointing? :)
This is maybe the third time I’ve tried it. I’m getting better. Nowhere good enough to do the front of an house but somewhere a little less on show?????? I’ll give it a crack.
Practice makes perfect it’s just that it’s one of those things that’s hard to practice doing. All or nothing type of job.
@Robinredbreast . How was Santa? Hope you’ve put your order in for a new and fully functioning pancreas.
I ask every year and always end up with some “ pancetta”. I wouldn’t mind but I don’t even like salami.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @therower ,

I've been known to dabble in a bit of brickwork in my time.. Mainly breeze block, Bath reconstucted stone, Bath stone or maybe Portland..

I found a lovely tutorial for you that may help?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee . Thanks. This was one of the better vids I checked out. Some useful tips and presented well for beginners.
Biggest problem I had was the fact I was working on the bottom 3 courses, blue bricks and very variable joint gaps.
It was time consuming but I got there in the end. Think doing normal faced bricks at a reasonable height might be easier.:)

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you @Jaylee
It wasn’t the manager who slapped me, another manager who is a waman understood me.

I am doing a lot better today, better numbers :) I was 10.5 this morning which I’ll take compared to 19.8. :)
I got some work tea to share with yall - 3 people have been fired and more to come next week. It could be me or anyone else. :( So far my manager loves me but I don’t feel like we are all safe, it’s like playing the weakest link, who is next?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I forgot to mention that I spotted two type 1s at my work place. One was on a pump and libre, he was diagnosed a long time ago at the age of 40 so pretty late and the other was on pens and diagnosed 40 years ago. I was shocked when he told me he doesn’t see a consultant but his gp takes care of him. I convinced him to get a referral because he did mentioned he wanted to get a libre.

Reactions: Antje77

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Morning all,
The water's gone down a little :)but BG has gone up. :eek:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning chaps. Rest day. So I’m resting. Actually that’s ********, I’m going shopping and cooking/baking for my next three shifts. A day, then a late, then a night. Then out with an A&E consultant in the rapid response car on the weekend. Bring it on! Been 100% in range for the last 24 hours, which covers over fourteen hours doing paramedic stuff and driving back and forth from my base station. It was almost eight hours into our shift before we could get a break for food, was quite hungry by that point, I must confess. I had quite a big “lunch” at 3pm of roasted vegetables, vegan kebab “meat”, konjac rice, hot smoked salmon and hard boiled duck eggs. Was only 11g carbs, so had a 1.05u dose to wash it down, and stayed steady. Without sounding like an intolerable low carb evangelical, I’m not sure I’d be able to do this job with a load of carbs and insulin in my system - I was never able to match the timings, as you know. And with the sheer unpredictability of a shift, regular mealtimes are a rare, almost mythical occurrence! I set my watch to buzz me at 4.5mmol when I’m on duty, so I can pop a dextrose tablet to keep things on an even keel. All good so far, I’ve already got a reputation as a “sh.. magnet”, as we’re getting a cardiac arrest every shift :D

(edit: asterisks by mod for language)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Marie 2 and smc4761

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Good morning all,
Pretty interesting weekend, got to meat the amazing @LooperCat (again) and I will say it again "thank you so much"
Grand daughters 4th birthday yesterday and all afternoon and evening whatever I did my bloods would not go below 12.5! I am guessing too many Jaffa Cakes and sarnies (trying to count carbs when your stuffing your face is never easy):hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: Woke to a 7.8 this morning thou :)

Reactions: Juicyj

Dabootie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning chaps. Rest day. So I’m resting. Actually that’s ballcocks, I’m going shopping and cooking/baking for my next three shifts. A day, then a late, then a night. Then out with an A&E consultant in the rapid response car on the weekend. Bring it on! Been 100% in range for the last 24 hours, which covers over fourteen hours doing paramedic stuff and driving back and forth from my base station. It was almost eight hours into our shift before we could get a break for food, was quite hungry by that point, I must confess. I had quite a big “lunch” at 3pm of roasted vegetables, vegan kebab “meat”, konjac rice, hot smoked salmon and hard boiled duck eggs. Was only 11g carbs, so had a 1.05u dose to wash it down, and stayed steady. Without sounding like an intolerable low carb evangelical, I’m not sure I’d be able to do this job with a load of carbs and insulin in my system - I was never able to match the timings, as you know. And with the sheer unpredictability of a shift, regular mealtimes are a rare, almost mythical occurrence! I set my watch to buzz me at 4.5mmol when I’m on duty, so I can pop a dextrose tablet to keep things on an even keel. All good so far, I’ve already got a reputation as a “sh.. magnet”, as we’re getting a cardiac arrest every shift :D
I know where you are coming from at with regards to how difficult shift work, carbs and insulin can be. I tend to try to stick to pretty much carb free nibbles on my desk unless I’m on night shift when I’m more likely to fit in a ‘break’. Oh I’m a ‘magnet’ too!
Had my flu jab on Sat morning and been mildly lurged since then but fool for punishment that I am I’m going into work for an overtime admin shift tomorrow instead of enjoying a day off.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done @LooperCat as always amazing figures. Whilst I am not a fan of very low carb I can see that it works for you. Thats the bottom line, if something works for you go for it

To help me lose bit of weight for past 18 months or so i have been on a reduced carb diet, mainly cutting out potatoes ,rice, pasta and white bread. I did lose about a stone but I have noticed over past few months that i have started to eat these a bit more often. Biggest thing for me though has been not drinking beer. I did not a great deal to start with anyway, maybe 4 cans at weekend. i have pretty much not drank beer for past 18 months. BUT have discovered the joys of gin instead.

Had a lovely strawberry gin last night. Maybe that why I had a flat line overnight with BG's

Reactions: Marie 2