Insulin resistance

Flair

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Hi

If you are overweight and have insulin resistance but you loose the weight will ir go away? So can you then eat carbs like normal people. Is overweight the cause of ir? Or is this an issue for live?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm probably over generalising here but....

Insulin resistance happens when someone eats more carbohydrate than their metabolism can cope with. Generally their body then produces more insulin to try to cope with the carbohydrate and the combination of excess insulin plus high blood sugar results in weight gain. So weight gain is the result of the metabolic stress of too many carbs. Unfortunately the weight gain then makes the insulin resistance worse and you are on a vicious circle of increasing blood sugars, insulin and weight.

So, reducing the weight (and increasing exercise) usually helps with the insulin resistance, but the only real cure is to reduce the carbohydrate level to what your body can cope with. This should also reduce the weight. Plenty of folk on here go into remission by reducing their carb intake, but if they go back to the same carbs they were taking before diagnosis they are likely to go back into T2 and insulin resistance and weight gain.

But the amount of carbohydrate that different people can cope with varies dramatically. Some people have to go practically ketogenic to achieve normal blood sugars, others can take what I would consider to be a lot of carbs.

Flair

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I did not over eat on carbs, on keto with 5 %carbs I can control insulin resistance.

But just dropping weight is an issue I am hypothyroid. Doctors believe if you drop weight you will back become normal but I did never over eat. Do to pregnancy I got ir and overweight. So I find the just drop weight hard to believe that is the cause of it. I think weight is a symptom. Not in all of course.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
My husband cut some of the junk food he was eating, (he still likes some) but mostly just started exercising and portion control, he ended up dropping to a 44 A1C. He improved so much the doctor doesn't want to see him for a year and he is still steadily losing weight. He is a vegetarian and the weight loss seems to be the major factor for him.

@Flair what you eat isn't the same with every person. One can eat very little while another can eat a lot more and lose weight. I know plenty of people that can down a lot more food than me and lose weight.

Unfortunately to lose weight it means cutting down on calories of what you eat, whether it seems like you aren't eating that much, it doesn't matter to compare it to someone else. It's what amount takes for you to lose and a low thyroid does make it harder.

Last edited:
Reactions: Little Bird