New comer !!

Tee_Rockz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Guys ! Recently diagnosed T1D and I’m only 20 ... feeling anxious as I am new to this and learning the do’s and don’ts of This disease ... any advice on how to maintain healthy levels and what foods/snacks are appropriate for me ?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Tee_Rockz and welcome to the forum :)

If your looking for snacks that don't affect your blood glucose levels and with little to zero insulin, then cold meats, cheese, olives, pork crackling, almonds are the ones I normally go for.

In regards to your diagnosis, the important part is getting your body back to normal, so take things easy and remember it will take a while to feel 'normal' again, it's good to learn as much as you can as the more you know the easier it will be to cope with changes and adjustments, also talk about your feelings, mentally it's a lot to cope with so keep chatting away :)

Reactions: therower and Diakat

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
It is also a good idea to always have hypo treatment with you.

Welcome to the group.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Tee_Rockz . Welcome to the forum.
Wow only 20 yrs old, I was 28 when my pancreas decided it didn’t love me anymore, packed it’s bags and left home.
There is so much to learn it’s pointless trying to actually start at any particular point.
Us type 1’s generally learn as we go along on a daily basis. Sounds daunting? Well it’s not that bad actually. There are some very experienced T1’s here who will always give advice and answer any questions.
28+ yrs of experience here ( not much compared to others ) and I’ll start with a few tips / pointers.
Positivity is the best way to live with T1.
DO live your life. DO respect T1 but DO NOT let it be the boss.
DO whatever you want within reason. DO NOT stop doing something solely because you’re T1.
If you try to live a healthy and sensible lifestyle then there’s no reason why you become an expert at this game.
Good luck and keep posting with us.

Reactions: Diakat

Tee_Rockz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes only 20 .. sucks but it is what it is :( only thing I can do is live with it now .... thank you guys for having me !! Also curious to know , what do you guys consider Healthy Glucose Levels ? I started out at 600+ and so far I was able to bring my levels down to as far as 118 ... sometimes I’ll spiral back up between 300-400 ( which I’m very afraid of) but for the most part I’ve been learning my portioning , which has been helping a bit

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
There is a trick to when you are first diagnosed because your pancreas might decide to still make insulin sometimes. So the levels of insulin they put you on are lower to be "safer" at onset. The younger you are at diagnosis usually the quicker your pancreas gives up. That can vary person to person though.

BG, Blood Glucose control comes with experience and a certain amount of time. Because it can be sort of erratic at the beginning but also so much to learn at the onset.

300-400 is too high, it's bad for you, but if you are not taking enough insulin you will go up that high. And that is harder to judge at the beginning because your pancreas might pop in to make some. Are you judging insulin doses yourself or do you have a set amount to take from the doctor?

Diapanda

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Grapes make your blood sugar levels shoot high fast in my experience and it's hard to control your blood sugar!