Guidance please

rfakes

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Over the last month or so I have noticed a need to visit the toilet more often, this weekend it has got lots worse. I happened to use my friends blood glucose meter, and it came up saying 23.9mmo/l. This being 2.5 hours after my last meal.

I'm going to phone the GP in the morning. 23.9 to me, seems very high?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
High indeed .... get it seen to pronto

rfakes

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Correction, it was 22.9. I called 111 and they said they would phone back within 2 hours.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
22.9 / 23.9 .... little difference. T1 or T2?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
22.9 / 23.9 .... little difference. T1 or T2?

That is the million dollar question (or MODY, T3C etc etc...) We truly can't diagnose, and the doctors won't want to diagnose without a few more blood test results.

9 out of ten diabetics may be T2, but the relatively young and sudden onset ups the odds of T1. And far too many T1s get diagnosed by an emergency admission for DKA.... Hence my advice to ring 111, as it's best not to let it get to that stage.

To @rfakes , good luck. Let us know how you go. If it does turn out that you have diabetes (a distinct possibility but not certain) there'll be plenty of advice/moral support for you on these forums, whichever type you have. Good luck again.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thought, for anything over 20, one should go to nearest A/E dept as it was considered extremely urgent. However, things might have changed ...

What's your situation now, @rfakes ?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I thought, for anything over 20, one should go to nearest A/E dept as it was considered extremely urgent. However, things might have changed ...

What's your situation now, @rfakes ?
I've been into the 20s quite often in previous years due to mis-diagnosis of T2 when actually LADA and it may not be dangerous but must be checked frequently, plenty of water drunk and check for ketones if you have the strips. Carbs must be cut down immediately and if a 20s reading remains or goes higher then go to A&E where you will probably be given some insulin.