Type 1 Infos about Omnipod

deborabaratto

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos and hypers
Hey guys, I'm a type 1 diabetic using a Accu Chek Spirit Combo for 5 years and Libre 2 but I'm for a while thinking about changing it and the best option for me I think is Omnipod!

So today, I had a doctor's appointment and I told them that I wanted to change - the doc was pretty ok with it, but them when I went to the nurse who makes all the forms and prescriptions, she was so unsupportive she just said "oh, but you use so little insulin and it would be so much waste (I use about 16-20u of Fiasp/Novolog in a day), and why do you really want it?" And also that she didn't think it was a good pump and that she didn't had good experiences with it (even though she used it with only 1 patient a while back).
It was a real bummer :/

So I ask you, podders, can I use less than 300u to fill the pod when using it? Or is it mandatory to fill the entire inner cartridge? And do you think the fact that I don't use much insulin could be a problem?

Thanks in advance

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @deborabaratto isn't it great when you get a really "nice" DSN! pffft lol
I am pretty sure there is a minimum amount of insulin that you need to put in the omnipod before it can be used. I will tag @LooperCat who is a podder and will give out a bit more advice than I can

Reactions: deborabaratto

deborabaratto

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos and hypers
Hi @deborabaratto isn't it great when you get a really "nice" DSN! pffft lol
I am pretty sure there is a minimum amount of insulin that you need to put in the omnipod before it can be used. I will tag @LooperCat who is a podder and will give out a bit more advice than I can
Right??!!
Thanks! :)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The minimum is 85u, it beeps when it’s reached that level when you’re filling it. My team told me to fill it completely, but I hate wasting insulin.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My dsn told me the omnipod would be ideal for me as i dont use lots of insulin