metformin and itching

sugarmog

I've been taking 2 x 500mg of metformin daily for about 2 months. Fortunately this has not caused the explosive reaction that some people get, in fact the total opposite. However, since i started taking it i have developed itchy armpits. There is nothing visible on the skin, just a mild, almost constant itchiness. Has anybody else experienced this?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was itching all around my shoulders, used to wake up with scratches - I had lots of other symptoms of poor tolerance - I was on Metformin and Atorvastatin - it got so bad I threw them away. It probably saved my life, certainly my sanity - or what is left of it.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi..I got on with met great.

And itchy, yeah, but not armpits BUT I do get an very itchy buttock (cheek)
Annoyingly so, but that seems after a year to have tailed off slightly,

Bloods or met... Who knows
Good luck finding answers or cure

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you use a glucose meter? High blood glucose makes us more susceptible to thrush or other fungal/yeast infections.
If it's not that, have you tried using something that's used for diaper rash on it? I'm overweight and occasionally get an uncomfortable slight rash in my armpits, in my groin or under my breasts, even without high bg. The stuff you use for mild diaper rash (sorry, don't know the English name for it) works a charm for me, but if it's a yeast infection due to high bg you'll probably need something to cure that.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Some people do react in this way to Metformin. You have two choices, stick with it in the hope that this reaction is temporary or sack it and use diet to improve your numbers further.

sugarmog

Thanks for the replies. Good to know its not just my imagination. I am planning to come of the metformin as soon as possible and have made significant dietary changes to hopefully enable this. It will ultimately depend on my next round pf blood tests.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It will ultimately depend on my next round pf blood tests.
Have you thought about using a glucose meter to help with managing and keeping an eye on things between blood tests? Many members here do so and find it very helpful.