woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
I’m
Starting on trulicity tomorrow. My few weeks of med free are over. On the one hand is glad because I feel I can start to feel better again.
But a huge part of my is terrified. Injection is such a serious thing. So much more than a little tablet.
I’m scared of the side effects I’m scared of the injection everything.

I’ve been bordering on tears all day and I’m dreading tomorrow!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
@woollygal I am sure that once it is over you will feel much better. It is the anticipation that is causing you to feel bad.
I am sure you have had other jabs, flu, vaccines, blood tests and got through it. You can do this.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
@woollygal I am sure that once it is over you will feel much better. It is the anticipation that is causing you to feel bad.
I am sure you have had other jabs, flu, vaccines, blood tests and got through it. You can do this.
True but someone else has done them. After tomorrow I’m on my own.
Plus they don’t tend to give such nasty side effects.

but thank you x

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
True but someone else has done them. After tomorrow I’m on my own.
Plus they don’t tend to give such nasty side effects.

but thank you x

Yeah, it seems to me that you're not just dreading the injecting, you're also dreading WHAT you're injecting. I would be too. :) Can you talk to the prescribing doctor some more about this? Or the dispensing pharmacist?

I was terrified of Metformin, and a year later, of statins. I was also very scared about stabbing my finger to check FBG. Thankfully one of the pharmacy techs at my pharmacy is diabetic (well, "thankfully" is a bad choice of word, I guess) and was great about talking me through it and even offered to demonstrate right there in the store! I finally managed while on the phone with a friend who had been stabbing his fingers for a few years and talked me through it.

I hope you can talk to your doctor and/or pharmacist or anyone else involved about all your worries. Hug.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The needle is very small and if you pinch about an inch of flesh between the thumb and forefinger of one hand and inject there with the other, you won't even feel it at all !

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi- I'm sorry you are feeling upset. I hope you are able to get a decent night's sleep before tomorrow.

I would feel the same in your shoes- be kind to yourself.

let us know how you get on- you've already been offered some tips I'm sure there are others.

Take care- hugs.

elsalisa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’m
Starting on trulicity tomorrow. My few weeks of med free are over. On the one hand is glad because I feel I can start to feel better again.
But a huge part of my is terrified. Injection is such a serious thing. So much more than a little tablet.
I’m scared of the side effects I’m scared of the injection everything.

I’ve been bordering on tears all day and I’m dreading tomorrow!

You can do it. And even more - you’ll get used to it and won’t see it as anything extraordinary very soon. In my son’s class there is a 4 year old boy with diabetes, I see sometimes how teachers do finger pricks for him and he waits patiently, he doesn’t cry. He has a pump, but still - a lot to accept for a little child. You can do it. It’s a part of life, not the most pleasant definitely, but it’s something you can do. And you will be fine.