Baked Beans!

clarentina

Dislikes
Not having peanut butter
Good for your heart, apparently.

I am a T1, pumping and DAFNE graduate.
Was advised by DAFNE and pump education sessions not to bolus for beans as they count towards 'veg'. However when I don't bolus for them- my levels go high.

So, I tried bolusing the amount listed in the Nutritional Info, and I got a hypo.
Boo.

Does anyone have any magic tricks that work for this? I just can't seem to get it right!

Thanks,

Clare Bear

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Well I guess evey one is slightly different

I bolus for baked beens based on what on the label and don't hypo (yet) never had a a hypo so far

But if I were in your position, next time you have beans, just try a quarter bolus, and adjust from there, if still go too high take a little more the next time until you get it right.. I guess like many things with diabetes you will just have to see what works for you

It's not the beans that are the problem, I would think its the sauce

annettekp

With my son, we go with what's on the tin. Baked beans vary from 7g -16g per 10g of carb. We've always counted them as carb.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya!

I buy the Heinz reduced sugar baked beans and keep portions small. I do have to count them as carb, but they seem to act a lot later for me, so I work out the meal content without the beans and bolus for that with the meal. An hour later I do a small bolus to cover the beans - seems to be the only way I can eat them. I have noticed that if my BG is good before the meal (in the 4s), the beans have a small effect, but if my BG is high (in the 7s), the beans send it soaring. I mean the rise in BG seems to be out of proportion to the carb in the beans. Not sure why.

Smidge

rusty28

Hi

When I did my DAFNE course last year I was advised that you need to calculate the dosage based on the 100g figures and not on the total as it is the sauce that is the real carbs not the beans. For eg. Heinz baked beans in chilli sauce: carbs per 1/2 can is 24.3g (390g can). Carbs per 100g is 12.5g so you would round up to a 400g can so it is 5pts on the dafne principal which on this occaision is the same as the 1/2 can values x 2. Remember though this is not always the case.

I would check with your DAFNE nurse if you are still not sure.

hope this helps.

Rusty28