Square bolus 640g

Justin04

Hey guys. Haven’t used square bolus very often since I’ve had my pump. Buried my grandmother today god bless her and at the wake I thought I’d use a square bolus as there were all sorts of canapés offered. However when I went to use it, it wouldn’t allow it, the “square” was greyed out. No active insulin and was on my standard daytime bolus. Any hints on why it wasn’t offered? Thanks.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Justin04 Sorry to hear about your Grandmother.

Had you set up the square bolus in your settings first, you need to switch it on first under 'Dual/Square wave' ?

Justin04

Hi @Juicyj yeah never a good thing. Sugar levels all over the place the last week but normally pretty good so I’ve put it down to stress/emotion etc. Yes I have both square and dual turned on, actually double checked that today in case it was off but definitely on. Have used it a couple of time over the last year when at kids parties etc and it’s worked well then for long drawn out grazing.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @Justin04

Were you trying to administer the square bolus on your pump or via your meter ? Should work ok if set up to do so, I agree it's useful, I haven't used it as haven't had the circumstances yet to play with it, but can see how when you're at a gathering that it can be.

Justin04

@Juicyj always use the pump. Have never had the requirement to use the meter. Last I used the square bolus was late last year at my daughters friends 6th birthday and I dialed up what I thought I’d eat over two hours and just ate away and bgl worked out to be perfect. Not sure why it was greyed out today. All worked out well in the end though, just dual bolused over two hours and sugar can back at 10.4. Not the greatest but there was a few beverages had this arvo so that may account for the high.

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
That's ok then - as long as the end result worked then that's good.

I've just done a square bolus to play about with it, with Christmas coming it might be a good idea to give it a whirl :)

Justin04

Yeah definitely. Christmas is a doozy for us type 1’s. Although I haven’t had to use a square on Xmas yet as the nuts and bolts and pudding and custard well and truly counteract the hypo spikes!

Dabeast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It may depend on whether you were using your bolus wizard and if you entered your bg as well as carbs. If the wizard adds a correction dose on account of your (elevated) bg it will only let you dual wave as it wants to give the correction as a normal bolus. To solve this you can enter it as a dual wave then reduce your now:square ratio down to 0%:100% and you will get just a square wave. Although it's probably more sensible to have some as an instant bolus if your bg is that high.........
Steve

Reactions: Justin04

Justin04

@Dabeast that makes sense. Exactly what it would’ve been. Was around 10 so although it would have been a small correction it still wanted it up front. Cheers for that, knew there’d be a reason.

Dabeast

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yeah that sounds like the reason. The funny thing is the wizard WILL let you do an instant bolus if you put a low bg in (eg 3.5) when you would think it would force a square wave.....

Justin04

When I woke this morning bgl was 6.4. Square bolus was available then. Another problem solved through this forum. Cheers!!!