Ice Cream recipe

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

BLINKERED people who think their way is the ONLY way.

Eating LOADS of SAT FATS. I HATE SAT FATS.

Did I mention I dislike KNOW-ALLS.

People desperate for attention and recognition.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
Just bought myself an ice cream machine, anyone got any good diabetic recipes?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Sounds like a plan Ka-Mon, be interested in any replies, can you not just substitute splenda for sugar?

Ka-Mon

Dislikes
Childish people who start childish arguments. KNOW-ALLS who claim they can help people to control their Diabetes without knowing their medical back ground.

People who get angry when they don't receive anything in return for helping others.
The ice cream maker came with a very small booklet with only about 5-6 recipes. I tried the strawberry one and substituted the sugar with sweeteners, turned out pretty good but all the rest are either with double cream and loads of chocolate which are very high in carbs/sugars. Never made ice cream before so have no idea what I am doing really, thought someone might have a more diabetic and sort of low fat version which I could try.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)

Grazer

Hi Ka-Mon. I make loads of ice cream. Good news is, you're wrong! Double cream doeasn't have loads of carbs. ".6 grams per hundred, lot less than milk. So use plenty of cream and don't worry. I substitute canderel for sugar, and often use raspberries for the fruit. Raspberries are pretty low GI so good for ice cream. I've also got a new one I'm making tomorrow - I've got some coconut milk, which is 12.5 grams of carbs per hundred compared with milk at ten, so I'm just substituting the coconut milk with the normal milk in the recipe. I'll let you know what it's like!
Malc

Reactions: 2 people

Grazer

OOps! Hit the wrong key on the carbs for double cream. Should read 2.6 per hundred.
Malc

Ka-Mon

Dislikes

Thanks malcysykes1, can you post the complete procedure how you make the ice cream from scratch please. I just tried and made vanilla cheese instead. :lol: :lol:

I used:
4 egg yolks.
20 sweeteners
250ml Milk
250ml Double cream.
Few drops of vanilla extract.

Think I must have overheated the milk & egg mixture, it has curdled up pretty bad. Haven't added the double cream in yet, waiting for the curdled custard to cool down. Think I'll have to start over again. :roll:

Ka-Mon

Dislikes

Grazer

No problem. First question - why are you heating anything up?? It will turn to gunk!
This is my recipe:-

I get 150 gram punnet of fresh raspberries, wash them, then puree them in a blender with 175 ml of milk and a tablespoon of lemon juice (can use fresh lemon squeezed or jif lemon)
Get one egg yolk and beat it with 11 teaspoons of canderel powder (I'm sure Splenda would work as well)
Whip (or whisk) 50 ml of double cream until it's almost stiff (Should be able to get little peaks in it)
Mix the whole lot up together, mixing well, but doin't use a mixer machine for this or the cream could go solid. Just stir up well.
I then just pour the whole lot into the ice-cream maker and let it stir it up for about 40 minutes.
After that, it will be a creamy ice-cream, not solid. Bit like a Mr Whippy. I put it into about 5 ramekins (or any little dishes) to get 5 separate portions. I cover them with cling film AND tin foil (otherwise the cling film goes brittle) and stand them in the freezer.
When I want one, I take it out and stand it in the fridge for about 45 minutes, or outside the fridge for about 25 mins, before eating to let it soften up a bit.
It's a bit like a cross between an ice cream and a sorbet, but really nice. Works out at about 3 grams of carbs per portion if you ignore the fruit(on the basis you might have had some fruit anyway) or about 5 grams if you include the fruit.
Malc

Reactions: lorraine95

Ka-Mon

Dislikes

malcysykes1 said:
No problem. First question - why are you heating anything up?? It will turn to gunk!

I followed the instruction of a "how to" video on youtube and yep, it did turn in to gunk. Practice makes perfect as they say but my cooking skills are anything but perfect.

This is my recipe:-

I get 150 gram punnet of fresh raspberries, wash them, then puree them in a blender with 175 ml of milk and a tablespoon of lemon juice (can use fresh lemon squeezed or jif lemon)
Get one egg yolk and beat it with 11 teaspoons of canderel powder (I'm sure Splenda would work as well)
Whip (or whisk) 50 ml of double cream until it's almost stiff (Should be able to get little peaks in it)
Mix the whole lot up together, mixing well, but doin't use a mixer machine for this or the cream could go solid. Just stir up well.
I then just pour the whole lot into the ice-cream maker and let it stir it up for about 40 minutes.
After that, it will be a creamy ice-cream, not solid. Bit like a Mr Whippy. I put it into about 5 ramekins (or any little dishes) to get 5 separate portions. I cover them with cling film AND tin foil (otherwise the cling film goes brittle) and stand them in the freezer.
When I want one, I take it out and stand it in the fridge for about 45 minutes, or outside the fridge for about 25 mins, before eating to let it soften up a bit.
It's a bit like a cross between an ice cream and a sorbet, but really nice. Works out at about 3 grams of carbs per portion if you ignore the fruit(on the basis you might have had some fruit anyway) or about 5 grams if you include the fruit.
Malc

Thanks for the recipe, will get some canderel or splenda tomorrow and give it a go. There is no heating up involved in your recipe so I can't go wrong, will let you know how it goes.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Old fashioned ice cream was not as sweet as todays so I suggest cutting down the sweeteners and maybe increasing the fruit content, better for you and also educates the palette .
CAROL

Margi

Fructose is also a good sugar substitute. It's still sugar but has a slightly lower GI than fructose. It's what we used to use in the old days before splenda etc. But a little sugar won't do you any harm unless you are type 2? And then I don't know how to deal with it because I only know about type 1, and that's easy because we just add a little insulin. Aaahhh! Modern insulins! Don't you love 'em?

Ice cream! Droool... 8)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
A recipe that worked well for me last week goes as follows:

Walk to shops
Buy a Cornetto
Scoff it

8)

Margi

Sid Bonkers said:

Walk to shops
Buy a Cornetto
Scoff it

8)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mind, someone told me a recipe years ago that just involved strawberries and mixing them over and over mid-freeze! I think there must have been some milk or cream added, but she only told me and never wrote it down. I'm pretty sure there was no sugar involved at all.

Oh, and p.s. to my first thing about fructose. I should have said fructose has lower GI than sucrose, but I said it had lower GI than itself! Sorry for the confusion, but I'm sure you worked it out yourselves.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sid Bonkers said:

Walk to shops
Buy a Cornetto
Scoff it

8)

:lol: :lol: :lol: Pleased to see your back Sid! :lol: :lol: :lol:

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Sid Bonkers said:
Walk to shops
Buy a Cornetto

:D

I think that it's a well established medical fact that Cornettos are perfectly acceptable for diabtics as long as you remember not to eat that little bit of cone at the end (the bit that doesn't have any ice cream in it). I think it's because all of the carbohydrates flow into the end of the cone.

reidpj

borofergie said:
I think that it's a well established medical fact that Cornettos are perfectly acceptable for diabtics as long as you remember not to eat that little bit of cone at the end (the bit that doesn't have any ice cream in it). I think it's because all of the carbohydrates flow into the end of the cone.

Studies have also shown that there is a metabolic advantage of 1000 calories if, in addition to the above, you do lick the lid before discarding it :lol:

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Guys!

You inspired me! (No not to walk to the shop and buy a Cornetto - although I was really tempted!) I just made my first ever batch of ice-cream. I based it on Malc's recipe, but adapted it a bit. I don't have an ice-cream maker, but it turned out brilliantly. It's a strawberry ice-cream based on strawberry ice cubes that I always create with pureed leftover strawberries. (I can't eat that many at a time, so a whole punnet is too much for my BG and pureeing them and freezing them saves them going to waste). So, the recipe:

Ingredients:

5 cubes of frozen pureed strawberries
120ml double cream
1 egg yolk
2 tsp lemon juice
7 tsp Splenda

Method:

1. Lightly whip the cream until forms soft peaks
2. Carefully fold lemon juice into cream
3. Crush the strawberry ice cubes (using a stick blender or food processor) and carefully fold into cream
4. Lightly beat egg yolk with Splenda and carefully fold into cream mixture
5. Put cream mixture in freezer and stir every hour for about three hours

After three hours it was frozen, but still softish - I expect it will be rock hard by tomorrow! Unfortunately, I can't tell you how many carbs are in it as I don't know how many strawberries were in each ice cube - I'll probably find out in a bit when I do my after food test :lol:

Smidge