Hypothyroidism & Diabetes

Ljk1970

Hi all, I’m new to the forum, having just been told yesterday that I am prediabetic. It came as a complete shock if I’m honest, as I’ve always thought I had quite a healthy diet. Earlier this year I was also diagnosed with an under active thyroid and was wondering if there is any connection between the 2, is anyone else in the same boat?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Ljk1970 Welcome to the forum :)

I have hypothyroidism and type 1 diabetes, both are interlinked as they are auto immune conditions, not sure about the link with type 2 however am sure others can comment on that.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, I’m new to the forum, having just been told yesterday that I am prediabetic. It came as a complete shock if I’m honest, as I’ve always thought I had quite a healthy diet. Earlier this year I was also diagnosed with an under active thyroid and was wondering if there is any connection between the 2, is anyone else in the same boat?

Ljk - I have been diagnosed T2, then a few years later, hypothyroid. They're both incredibly common; especially in women.

Have you had your thyroid antibodies checked, to identify which sort of hypothyroidism you have? It's not always done, but certainly worthwhile )I'd say, important) to have it done.

As @Juicyj says, some thyroid disease is auto-immune, and the rest can happen for a whole host of reasons. If, like @Juicyj , your thyroid disease is autoimmune, they tend to have a look for any other auto-immune conditions too.

One thing I will say is that for both conditions, once you are receiving the correct treatment - whether that involves lifestyle tweaks, some medication, or both, your could be amazed how much better you could feel.

This forum is fabulous for support around your prediabetes, but when I was "exploring" thyroid issues, I found this forum where the support for those living with thyroid disorders to be excellent: https://healthunlocked.com/thyroiduk They taught me a huge amount.

And finally, many folks finding themselves in the prediabetes ranges can manage to reduce that again with a few life tweaks.

Good luck with it all.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been taking Thyroxine for a very long time - after a long period of having all the symptoms but the test result was always 'satisfactory'.

Jankiff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Donald Trump, Boris Johnson, Brexit, stupid TV ads. Bogus accident claims companies who cold call on the ‘phone,
I was diagnosed as hypothyroid about a year after my T2 diagnosis. (19 years approx).am on a low dose of levothyroxin. Many people in my family, on my fathers side, have (or had- I am in my 70s and auntie uncle and my dad who are no longer with us, sadly) they have had one or both. My sister has hypothyroid, she has 3 daughters with it and one with insulin dependent T2 (and just diagnosed lupus, poor girl). My theory is that because hypothyroid causes lethargy, that can cause weight gain and we all know where that ends up, don’t we? if We carry the genes (I did a DESMOND and they told us T2 is genetic). Even if you have had T2 for some time, I can thoroughly recommend a DESMOND course as a refresher, and bring one up to date with the latest information on treatment, medication etc. It helps sharpen focus.

MicheleJC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello @Ljk1970 Welcome to the forum :)
I have been on thyroxine for about a year,
Insulin dependent for 47 yrs and coeliac for 27 yrs. All linked because they are auto immune conditions.

I have hypothyroidism and type 1 diabetes, both are interlinked as they are auto immune conditions, not sure about the link with type 2 however am sure others can comment on that.

Catherinegf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I am going through the tests now as my blood sugar runs high. I also have hypothyroidism. I've been taking thyroxine for years now. I also had chronic fatigue syndrome for around 3 years a decade ago. My doctor said that it's probably all connected to my immune system so she wouldn't be surprised to find me now diabetic. I also eat an extremely healthy diet and am not over weight. I exercise and I look after myself. It came as a shock to me too. Though my mum and grandad both have diabetes and both also live/d very healthy lives with lots of exercise and really healthy diets. I'd be interested to know what your results were? I'm in Spain and they don't seem to be takign it very seriously.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah, hypothyroid here, (Hashimoto's) as well as a T2. Do make sure your thyroid meds are dosed correctly, because if they're off, they can also influence your blood sugars.

The diet that's considered healthy, really, really isn't. Just look at fruit. Delicious, full of vitamins, and positively loaded with sugar. The cons really do outweigh the pro's there. (Above ground veggies/leafy greens and meat/fish would help you avoid scurvy just as well, without the sugarbombs. ;) ) https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html <--This might help with the diet some.