Is Low-Carb for me?

TerryJK

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Having been diagnosed as Pre-Diabetic, with a BMI of nearly 40 and around 4 stone overweight, I decided to adopt a Low-Carb diet. Having established my macros, it seems I'm actually following the Keto diet and am in my fourth week. With some weight loss to be pleased about, I'm finding the food enjoyable and have no problem following this way of eating. My average split of macros per day (by calories) works out to Carbs (5%), Protein (29%), Fat (66%).

However, it is not without it's difficulties. The dreaded brain fog seems to have hung around for over two weeks now, with bouts of headaches. I ensure I drink at least 2 litres of water per day (normally a little more than that) and have resorted to taking two Electrolyte Plus supplements a day to keep my Potassium, Mangensium and Sodium up (I really don't like salt on my food). I have a mug of Bouillon some days, but the fog never seems to clear. I'm wondering if low-carb suits me. I guess I was previously carb-heavy (cereal for breakfast, sandwich/rolls lunchtime, meat and rice/chips in the evening), so maybe it's an adaptation thing, I don't know. My BG is slowly dropping over the weeks, the fasting figure has gone from around 6.2 to 5.3. I've lost just under a stone in a month, so I know low-carb is working for me, but I haven't yet had the burst of energy and increased mental awareness that people speak of. Perhaps I need to up my carbs, somewhat. Your comments are welcomed.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having been diagnosed as Pre-Diabetic, with a BMI of nearly 40 and around 4 stone overweight, I decided to adopt a Low-Carb diet. Having established my macros, it seems I'm actually following the Keto diet and am in my fourth week. With some weight loss to be pleased about, I'm finding the food enjoyable and have no problem following this way of eating. My average split of macros per day (by calories) works out to Carbs (5%), Protein (29%), Fat (66%).

However, it is not without it's difficulties. The dreaded brain fog seems to have hung around for over two weeks now, with bouts of headaches. I ensure I drink at least 2 litres of water per day (normally a little more than that) and have resorted to taking two Electrolyte Plus supplements a day to keep my Potassium, Mangensium and Sodium up (I really don't like salt on my food). I have a mug of Bouillon some days, but the fog never seems to clear. I'm wondering if low-carb suits me. I guess I was previously carb-heavy (cereal for breakfast, sandwich/rolls lunchtime, meat and rice/chips in the evening), so maybe it's an adaptation thing, I don't know. My BG is slowly dropping over the weeks, the fasting figure has gone from around 6.2 to 5.3. I've lost just under a stone in a month, so I know low-carb is working for me, but I haven't yet had the burst of energy and increased mental awareness that people speak of. Perhaps I need to up my carbs, somewhat. Your comments are welcomed.

Well I'm no expert but it sounds to me like you are doing fab!!!! I have read that many people take more than a few weeks to feel the benefits with regard to 'brain fog' disappearing, how does that affect you specifically? I am sure many people with experience will come along soon. x

Reactions: jjraak

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @TerryJK
Sounds like you are doing really well with blood sugars coming down along with weight loss..
I might suggest adding a bit of salt to strongly flavoured drinks (tea or coffee) just in case you aren't getting quite enough.
Are you having to "force" the water down as I tend to let my body tell me if I'm thirsty or not rather than have a set amount per day..
Drinking too much water could simply be flushing out the electrolytes you are adding in .. if you see what I mean..

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
As you are into your fourth week you may only just be getting into ketosis. I personally would not reintroduce carbs at this stage for a couple of reasons, one is that the liver needs to empty itself of excess fat and the other is that higher levels of carbs require a higher insulin response and insulin will stop the fat burning/ketosis in its tracks.
Sometimes our bodies are our own worst enemies when it comes to making changes but your body will thank you in the end.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
. . . . . works out to Carbs (5%)

That's about 10gms of carb for someone eating about 2,000 calories a day. Apart from recommendations made by forum members you might like to Google "low carb brain fog cure". Some of it is the old "Buy this supplement" type of thing but there's also several interesting articles and even some research papers.

My brain fog started when I was prescribed statins and after taking them for 17 years before I stopped (low carb lowered my total cholesterol), it seems that brain fog hasn't disappeared. I've had periods where I've upped my carb intake but nothing changed except my BG. Also, now I'm 67, doctors seem happy to just say "It's your age". Certainly a lot of my friends of a similar age experience the same "brain fog" only they're seem happy with it. I get frustrated. Good luck on the search for an answer and very well done on the success so far.

TerryJK

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Guys. Thanks very much for your words of encouragement. I'll stick with the current eating regime for a few weeks more and see how matters progress. To answer some questions..I don't force myself to drink, just when I get thirsty. I have a measured water bottle which I top up during the day and excluding a couple of mugs of tea, I average about 2 litres of water. I don't pee so often, so I guess I'm just about right where it comes to fluid intake.

The brain fog is like having a mild headache which just won't go. At times it's worse, other times it's not there at all. To be honest, I'm not sure it's diet related, possibly tension in the neck which I have suffered from way back in my past. I'll try some relaxation techniques.

So, once again, thanks for your kind words.