Just diagnosed

Schmoukes

Hi everyone - I was diagnosed T2 today with an Hb1ac of 98. The dr suggested trying to shift the dial through exercise and diet for the next few months before checking in again. No testing in that time. How much progress can I expect if I stay true to LC in that time?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone - I was diagnosed T2 today with an Hb1ac of 98. The dr suggested trying to shift the dial through exercise and diet for the next few months before checking in again. No testing in that time. How much progress can I expect if I stay true to LC in that time?
Hi and welcome to the forum!
First let me post a link to our useful info post:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/
I’m glad you have discovered low carbing as a method of reducing your blood sugars and in turn your HbA1c. Many here have reduced their levels to non diabetic in a few months using diet alone, or diet and exercise. However many of us have invested in a blood glucose meter to help us learn which foods suit us best. I’d highly recommend you get one too.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I expect the mètre to show pretty high figures at least at first?
Probably. But as you learn the ins and outs of low carb, you will see them come down. Get your meter and a couple of hundred test strips for your first month. Test before your first bite of food and two hours afterwards.

Download the free mysugr app and record what you eat and what your readings are. After a few days it will give you an estimated hba1c which is highly motivating.

We can advise on meters if you want.

mouseee

If you go low carb you'll see a fall in bs really quickly. It showed a significant fall within days of stopping eating many carbs.
This forum is a great place for advice and support. Ask all the questions you need and join in.

Because of this forum I'd dropped my hba1c numbers from 101 to 48 I three months and that was just in time for my first diabetic nurse appt!

Reactions: Rose22

Schmoukes

Probably. But as you learn the ins and outs of low carb, you will see them come down. Get your meter and a couple of hundred test strips for your first month. Test before your first bite of food and two hours afterwards.

Download the free mysugr app and record what you eat and what your readings are. After a few days it will give you an estimated hba1c which is highly motivating.

We can advise on meters if you want.

Thanks for this. Yes please on the meters. Which do you prefer?

Schmoukes

If you go low carb you'll see a fall in bs really quickly. It showed a significant fall within days of stopping eating many carbs.
This forum is a great place for advice and support. Ask all the questions you need and join in.

Because of this forum I'd dropped my hba1c numbers from 101 to 48 I three months and that was just in time for my first diabetic nurse appt!

Wow - that would be amazing!! Thanks for the inspiration.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here’s some info on meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned. For a meter with cheap strips go for the Tee2 + found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/ with the strips found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/

With more expensive strips is the Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

And to be totally transparent I used to use the SD Code Free which has the cheapest strips available. However I found it to be becoming less and less reliable. Here it is for anyone wanting to give it a go:

http://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/blood-glucose-monitor/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

Don’t forget to check the box that you have diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

mariefrance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My hba1c was 110 on diagnosis and at my first follow up four months later it was 35. It's been 35 or 36 for the last 2 years.

Everybody is different, but my experience was similar to Mousee's in that I found my bgls went down relatively quickly. I lost some of my weight in that time - approx. two and a half stone - but my bgls got back into the normal range quite a while before I lost all the weight I needed to get in the normal BMI range.

I found testing with a meter invaluable in understanding how my body reacted to different meals and it also motivated me to keep going when I saw my numbers dropping. Initially, I did a mix of Michael Mosley's Blood Sugar Diet (800 cals) & LCHF 20g carbs a day. I started walking 10,000 steps a day (I have always been able to sit and do nothing for hours so just doing that was an achievement) and about three months in I started going to exercise classes (low key stuff - then & now).

There are some really great resources (Jason Fung's The Diabetes Code book, dietdoctor.com, lowcarbdownunder.com) but for me, this forum was were I lurked every day reading all the posts and working out what to do next. It's really worth sticking around.

Good luck with everything

Last edited:
Reactions: mojo37 and ziggy_w

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
blood glucose levels can drop within a few days - by the time you have a meter sent mail order low carb should have had some impact on the numbers.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are some really great resources (Jason Fung's The Diabetes Code book, dietdoctor.com, lowcarbdownunder.com) but for me, this forum was were I lurked every day reading all the posts and working out what to do next. It's really worth sticking around.

Great post...100% agree with the resources links AND the wonderful forum we have

Hi @Schmoukes .
Welcome to the club NO ONE wants to join.

Good answers above.
Personally for me, the morning FBG came down in stages...10's month one.. Then 9's the next,
(Though to be fair, looking back at my records, I think I may of had T2D issues back in 2011, that were not picked up, so perhaps longer term then a few, sadly)
But within 4/5 months, My fbg was into the 6's on a daily basis.
Now run at mid 5's/low 6's most days 13 months after DX.
Hit normal HBA1c numbers 10 months after going LCHF.

My advise ?

Keep on doing what your doing, get the meter and tinker away at reducing the foods that spike.

Try not to get to hung up on the numbers, and stressing over them.. You'll see them come down as you go.. We all go at a different pace.

The phrase you'll hear a lot, cos it's so true...
Is it's a Marathon, NOT a sprint.

Seen more then one or two get low, real quick,
Who may not of found the lifestyle..(yep, lifestyle NOT Diet ) sustainable.

I hope I'm wrong and they've gone on to live beautiful low carb lives without the need to post.

So go at YOUR own pace, FAST or SLOW, because THAT is the one that gives YOU the best chance for staying the course, getting into normal or pre diabetic numbers, and then turning around and offering that successful strategy of YOURS, to the the next batch of new members.

Schmoukes

My hba1c was 110 on diagnosis and at my first follow up four months later it was 35. It's been 35 or 36 for the last 2 years.

Everybody is different, but my experience was similar to Mousee's in that I found my bgls went down relatively quickly. I lost some of my weight in that time - approx. two and a half stone - but my bgls got back into the normal range quite a while before I lost all the weight I needed to get in the normal BMI range.

I found testing with a meter invaluable in understanding how my body reacted to different meals and it also motivated me to keep going when I saw my numbers dropping. Initially, I did a mix of Michael Mosley's Blood Sugar Diet (800 cals) & LCHF 20g carbs a day. I started walking 10,000 steps a day (I have always been able to sit and do nothing for hours so just doing that was an achievement) and about three months in I started going to exercise classes (low key stuff - then & now).

Thank you! I need to jumpstart those 10K steps a day too:)

Reactions: jjraak

Schmoukes

Great post...100% agree with the resources links AND the wonderful forum we have

Hi @Schmoukes .
Welcome to the club NO ONE wants to join.

Good answers above.
Personally for me, the morning FBG came down in stages...10's month one.. Then 9's the next,
(Though to be fair, looking back at my records, I think I may of had T2D issues back in 2011, that were not picked up, so perhaps longer term then a few, sadly)
But within 4/5 months, My fbg was into the 6's on a daily basis.
Now run at mid 5's/low 6's most days 13 months after DX.
Hit normal HBA1c numbers 10 months after going LCHF.

My advise ?

Keep on doing what your doing, get the meter and tinker away at reducing the foods that spike.

Try not to get to hung up on the numbers, and stressing over them.. You'll see them come down as you go.. We all go at a different pace.

The phrase you'll hear a lot, cos it's so true...
Is it's a Marathon, NOT a sprint.

Seen more then one or two get low, real quick,
Who may not of found the lifestyle..(yep, lifestyle NOT Diet ) sustainable.

I hope I'm wrong and they've gone on to live beautiful low carb lives without the need to post.

So go at YOUR own pace, FAST or SLOW, because THAT is the one that gives YOU the best chance for staying the course, getting into normal or pre diabetic numbers, and then turning around and offering that successful strategy of YOURS, to the the next batch of new members.

Really appreciate the data - I’m a bit scared of how the numbers might look at first and how ‘sticky’ they might be. If that happens, your experience will help reassure me! Thank you!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you're going to be fine. Make sure you stick around the forum and ask questions, there are no silly ones. There is a massive amount of info on the main pages, and amongst the people here. You won't lack support.

Reactions: Schmoukes

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

You can probably make significant progress. I was diagnosed at 112 and down to 36 at my three month test. Going VLCHF/Keto. It was fairly easy if you are determined, but you have to be strict. I’m at this level 18 months on.
Edited to add I tested up to 8 times a day to educate myself as to what MY body could and couldn’t cope with food wise. Testing is key...

Schmoukes

You can probably make significant progress. I was diagnosed at 112 and down to 36 at my three month test. Going VLCHF/Keto. It was fairly easy if you are determined, but you have to be strict. I’m at this level 18 months on.
Edited to add I tested up to 8 times a day to educate myself as to what MY body could and couldn’t cope with food wise. Testing is key...

I did my first fingerpick test today. Not good. My before breakfast number was 9.8. I have been on a LC diet for a week - I started as soon as I heard the doc wanted to see me about my blood test, expecting the worst. Am I not being extreme enough with the diet? Or is it just too early to see things shift?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Depending on when you got up, your fasting bg can be affected by the dawn phenomenon.

Concentrate on your before first bite and two hours after. You want a difference of no more than 2.

It is a marathon not a sprint.

mariefrance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I took both fasting and before and after meals. My fasting bgls were the last numbers to move downwards. With the pre- and post-meal bgls you'll still be able to see a trend downward in your numbers but they will also tell you so much about your body's response to that meal. An increase over 2 in your numbers and that meal has been too carby for you.

I'd give it a bit more time but after a bit if you don't see a downward trend in your bgl readings I'd think about lowering the amount of carbs you're having per day. Do you track how many gramms of carbs you're having per day. I found that really helpful. I used fatsecret.co.uk for this but there may be better ways of doing it for the technologically knowledgeable and equipped!

It's great that your testing.

Schmoukes

Depending on when you got up, your fasting bg can be affected by the dawn phenomenon.

Concentrate on your before first bite and two hours after. You want a difference of no more than 2.

It is a marathon not a sprint.

So my 2 hours after breakfast had gone down to 8.6 from the 9.8 before. I guess that’s a meal I can tick as having done a good job.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Excellent. Don't worry about the actual numbers, They will come down in due course.