Update on progress

jaym

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just a bit of background, had my latest hba1c taken on 17th October with was 77 from 54, since then I have decided against taking medication, been on a low carb diet since and fasting, have so far lost 16lbs, todays blood glucose readings fasting when I woke up 5.0, midday 5.5, this evening before eating 4.7, 2 hours after dinner 5.0. Have my next hba1c blood test for the end of January.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks like you will be on track for a far better HbA1c next time providing you stick to your new way of eating...
it obviously suits you!

jaym

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks both, yeah I need to stick too it now, just worried about over Christmas

Reactions: jjraak

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What are you worried about? Great results btw and I hope you are feeling good on low carb....

jaym

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks Nicole, just don’t want to let myself down over Christmas

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes, I think that is a worry most of us have :)

You will findpeople have all sorts of different coping mechanisms, from deciding to have a few days of total blowout, or just one day, or just one meal, or staying totally on track.

My method is to plan and prep an absolutely delicious low carb indulgent extravaganza for Xmas day, and then pretend Xmas doesn't exist for the days running up and after. I often get given chocolate by friends and family, but the message is slowing getting though that I only like the good quality dark stuff. And then I get to eat v small quantities of it every day for a couple of months.

No need to wreck Xmas by feeling either ill, or feeling guilty. But it does help to give it some planning beforehand. :)

jaym

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes, I think that is a worry most of us have :)

You will findpeople have all sorts of different coping mechanisms, from deciding to have a few days of total blowout, or just one day, or just one meal, or staying totally on track.

My method is to plan and prep an absolutely delicious low carb indulgent extravaganza for Xmas day, and then pretend Xmas doesn't exist for the days running up and after. I often get given chocolate by friends and family, but the message is slowing getting though that I only like the good quality dark stuff. And then I get to eat v small quantities of it every day for a couple of months.

No need to wreck Xmas by feeling either ill, or feeling guilty. But it does help to give it some planning beforehand. :)

Thanks for taking the time to reply and the advice brunneria very helpful unlike the last blunt message.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's all sorts of ways to get through Christmas... I usually have a hand in the menu at both sides of the family, so.... Plenty of meat, veggies, fish, eggs, olives, nuts and cheese when I'm around. ;) I just have larger helpings of those and skip the filling, spuds and bread. Buckets of tea, especially Christmas Blends...! The only thing that's getting to me a little this year seems to be chocolate, but I keep finding bars that suit my needs, somehow. (Manna from heaven!). All in all though, you could just cut loose for a day/meal. It might trigger carb cravings for a day or two, but you've beaten those before. All up to you. Just remember, if you do indulge, do NOT regret it afterwards, and no kicking of oneself. Just enjoy it thoroughly, to the point where your toes wriggle with pleasure. Once a year won't kill you, after all.

Robertgray30

Type of diabetes
Type 2
since then I have decided against taking medication, been on a low carb diet since and fasting,

Good to hear people achieving their objectives and beating diabetes. My bloods went up to 62 from 54 over the last year.., which Is a kick up the backside. So determined not to accept more medication. This means being strict with myself and resist the temptations.
People keep using the term fasting and I wonder what this means in the context it
is used.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Last year was my first Christmas on low carb, and I love Christmas food. I tracked down recipes for 'almost mince pies', gave up on cake and pudding, developed a sage and onion stuffing mix, did pigs in blankets, etc.
And made a low carb trifle.
All that along with some stevia chocolate and loads of double cream got me through.

Reactions: jjraak

Lesley's

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just a bit of background, had my latest hba1c taken on 17th October with was 77 from 54, since then I have decided against taking medication, been on a low carb diet since and fasting, have so far lost 16lbs, todays blood glucose readings fasting when I woke up 5.0, midday 5.5, this evening before eating 4.7, 2 hours after dinner 5.0. Have my next hba1c blood test for the end of January.
Welldonex

Robertgray30

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Do you mean as in Fasting Blood Glucose (first reading in the morning before any food is taken) or fasting as in not eating?
That was my confusion. Fasting to me was going longer than normal before eating something. Having read your response and other threads, people use fasting to describe the normal period of time between meals.
Thank you for responding :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That was my confusion. Fasting to me was going longer than normal before eating something. Having read your response and other threads, people use fasting to describe the normal period of time between meals.
Thank you for responding :)

It can also mean a period of not eating.. intermittent fasting IF which is the same as eating in a restricted window such as 16:8 (16 hours fasting and 8 hours when you can eat) or extended fasting EF when you don't eat for a number of days.
Very strong aids in reducing blood glucose for most people.

Reactions: ert

jaym

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi guys just an update I have lost up to yet just over 2 1/2 stone, had my latest hba1c since my 77 in October, it has now come down to 47 just through diet and weight loss, still want to get this lower and have more weight to lose, have my diabetic review in just over a week, Happy just wish Christmas hadn’t been in between as I’m sure it would have been lower.

Reactions: karen8967

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys just an update I have lost up to yet just over 2 1/2 stone, had my latest hba1c since my 77 in October, it has now come down to 47 just through diet and weight loss, still want to get this lower and have more weight to lose, have my diabetic review in just over a week, Happy just wish Christmas hadn’t been in between as I’m sure it would have been lower.

fab result! WELL DONE!!!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Brilliant!