Worried mum

Worriedmum19

Hello

I am after some advice please. My nearly four year old has been urinating more frequently the past few days so I took him to GP this morning as suspected urine infection.

I took a sample first thing and brought it in his to his appointment around 10- it came back clear from infection and also sugar.

Bit of family history so doctor did finger prick and got 12.9. He had a banana and weak diluted orange juice in doc waiting room (about 20 mins before test), had nothing else since previous night.

She phoned hospital who said probably spurious result but wanted to see him. We went in and 2.5 hours later (having not consumed anything else), was down to 3.1 on finger prick and another urine test came back clear.

No full bloods taken and no follow up been arranged. From what I have read though it seems his readings were both exceptionally high and low, and not borderline.... really looking for some advice if this seems ok or if I should be pushing for more investigation?

Only other thing was hospital said his throat was bit red and probably had a mild virus which could impact sugars... seems well in himself and no other obvious symptoms . Hes a hungry and thirsty boy but that is normal for him !

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can he have had banana residue on his finger?

Worriedmum19

Funnily enough this is what hospital said but I'm sure the doc wiped it.. although I can't say for definite.. I'm also worried that 3.1 is too low? This is all another language to me so feeling a bit panicked

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Sure, that number is too high. But I am reminded of a normal person who tested their blood sugar after a couple of bananas who had an abnormally high level. The trick was it went to normal in 2 hours. And when you're sick your sugar levels have a tendency to go up higher anyway.

Since you got him checked with a doctors already, really one of the best investments for any household nowadays with diabetes so rampant is getting a meter. You can keep an eye on him now and make sure he's okay, but later when he's well you can also do a fasting test, a 3 hour after you eat and before bed test for a few days and find out if he is having non normal numbers. Then you can go to the doctors and show them the results.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Funnily enough this is what hospital said but I'm sure the doc wiped it.. although I can't say for definite.. I'm also worried that 3.1 is too low? This is all another language to me so feeling a bit panicked
Hi
For a child 3.1 is not too low but is more likely an indication that your child does not have type 1 but the only way to know for sure is by the blood test of his long term average (HBa1c) or a fasting bg... Kids normally get acutely ill with this condition and I am sure you've already googled the symptoms! Your stress, being in hospital, eating a banana and juice and infection in itself could cause that rise.