One HbA1C per year?

Lynne C J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm T1 and very well controlled, test BG regularly etc but I still only have one HbA1C a year for my diabetic check up. Just on insulin injections, not a pump. Is this the same for other T1's?

My Accu-Chek meter gives me 7, 14, 30 and 90 day averages which correlate with my HbA1C result so I'm not concerned, just interested

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Yep, same for me. And sometimes they run late so not even that often.

D

Deleted member 308541

Not a T1, but as a T2 I am entitled to four hba1c blood tests a year at the pathology shop.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was offered 3 or 4 times for blood tests and reviews including hba1c, but as everything is going well I told them I prefer once a year.
They agreed, as long as I promised to give them a call when there are problems.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
They test me about every 6 months. Most of the time in the USA they have you see an endo if you are type 1 and want to see and test you every 3 to 6 months. If you are in good control the appointment is more for if you have any concerns, want new or change your prescriptions or new devices/tech etc. You can call them or e-mail them for the same things, but most of the insurance companies want an endo or other doctor to touch bases with you and check blood work etc 2-4 times a year.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm T1 and very well controlled, test BG regularly etc but I still only have one HbA1C a year for my diabetic check up. Just on insulin injections, not a pump. Is this the same for other T1's?

My Accu-Chek meter gives me 7, 14, 30 and 90 day averages which correlate with my HbA1C result so I'm not concerned, just interested
It seems to vary from annual to bi annual or quarterly dependent on results. My next is due bi annually because I have an FSL so need to justify it plus I've gone up to 8.3 in the past , have had complications etc. which makes me a tier 3 o4 patient as far as the NHS is concerned.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've had twice this year, one in January when I attended a DSN appointment (fortunately they have a machine that can do it with a sample via finger prick rather than the full works) and then again in May with the full works when I had my review with my consultant

They did test me very regularly for a while the year after I was diagnosed due to low hba1c's that they wanted to keep an eye on
xx

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

That's so strange! I get them every 4 months, i wonder if that's because mine are still in the high range?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Before I was place on a pump I was tested once a year (if I was lucky). Since I have been pumping I have been checked every 3 months. Now moving to every 6 months

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I had my 6 monthly appointment with the consultant yesterday and she's moved me to every 8 months. I'm OK with that because I can contact a diabetic nurse by email if I've got any questions.

Reactions: Rose22

Lynne C J

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had my 6 monthly appointment with the consultant yesterday and she's moved me to every 8 months. I'm OK with that because I can contact a diabetic nurse by email if I've got any questions.

I've never seen a consultant so don't know if that is a good thing or not! Seems to be going well without that. The local Consultant Endocrinologist came out to an event organised by my surgery, he was so dour it would be enough to make you jump off a cliff if your results weren't good! Mind you, some of the patients attending obvously had no idea about their diabetes so perhaps that's why he's as he is. Patients with HbA1c's of 120 who wouldn't have any treatment, gotta wonder!