Newish type 2 lots of questions.

Rekords

Hi Everyone, I am new here although a long time lurker gaining invaluable information from such a truly wonderful forum.
I am 66 years old and had a stroke in 2008 from which I recovered pretty well, I also suffered a heart problem in 2015 during an angiogram the doctor found the right artery 75% blocked and was about to put a stent in, however when he inserted nitrates to relax the arteries before putting the stent in the blockage cleared itself 100% and so no stent or meds for the heart and several follow ups with cardiologist and stress tests are all good. the surgeon and his team were so animated in that they have never seen this before that I asked if I could get a dvd of this procedure and the hospital sent it to me the following week. Apparently the artery was in spasm.
Needless to say the hospital and my truly lovely doctor put me on Atorvastatin 40mg, Atenol 25mg and Ezetimbe 10mg plus aspirin. I knew these statins were making me feel lousy and stopped taking them after a bit of research. My cholesterol levels over the years to present have been very good to excellent and low without statins but my lovely doctor nearly had a dicky fit when I told her I hadn't taken statins for years even though my cholesterol was perfect.
Re Diabetes I was told I had pre diabetes and then told I have type 2 diabetes 18 months ago. Yet through the wonderful help on this forum I haven't taken the 1000mg of Metformin for the last year.
I have maintained a blood sugar log for the last month using the low to medium carb diet this last month. My highest reading 2 hours after dinner was 6.6 and my highest early morning fasting was 6.5. this morning it was 5.4 after 2 Gigot lamb chops and cauliflower, cheese, peas, and 2 corn on the cob last night.
One conundrum I have is that one evening in the last month I went out for beer with my friends, being Irish one beer led to another (good friends) and I ended up more than a little tipsy and then had my large dinner of liver plus veg at after ten that night and the next morning my blood sugar was 4.2 which makes no sense to me.
I am 5 foot 10 inches and have lost 7 Pounds this month. one of the side effects of my stroke was that I always and still do feel starving with hunger which must be a part of the brain that is damaged and led me to reaching 17 Stone 7 Pounds at one stage.
My current weight is 15 Stone even. and I know I need to lose more even though I'm a solid build, love to continue and lose another 2 Stone.
I don't have my current Hemoglobin A1c numbers but will have them tested in a couple of months agin.
I can't thank you all enough for tis terrific forum and for all the people who take their valuable time to help others.
My lovely Doctor and she is truly great will still probably be upset whenever I tell her I've stopped Metformin.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your 4.2 is probably down to the beer and your liver working overtime to process the alcohol.

You have had a fair bit going on. I am glad you found the forum useful, I found it a life saver.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your 4.2 is probably down to the beer and your liver working overtime to process the alcohol.

You have had a fair bit going on. I am glad you found the forum useful, I found it a life saver.
Totally agree.

Welcome aboard properly @Rekords

i think you have much to offer others on here my friend.
first post but not the last i hope.:)

Rekords

I would like to sincerely thank every above for their kind welcomes and very useful information and the explanation of how my liver compensated for the previous nights drinking and late dinner with a low fasting number which brings sense to me. Sorry but I was having problems answering you as individuals on the forum which I hope is now solved. Love this place!

Reactions: Concordjan