Have you ever lied about having T1D...?

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As per the question, have you ever covered up the fact that you have Type 1, and why? Not that I'm planning on telling a fib of course

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Jessie, I have to admit i've never held back on telling anyone about it, I can see how some would be nervous telling a prospective employer if applying for a new job but personally i've been open as about it, i'd want anyone knowing in case I had a hypo and needed help.

Reactions: JudyLee

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Whilst I wouldn't lie about it if asked, I have held back about it - much to my detriment at one place where I had got a new job, telling them was on my 'to do' list, however I hypo'd before I got round to telling them, they ended up calling my mum - omg, that really is embarrassing to have your work call your mum - when you're nearly 30!
Now I tell them before anything like that can happen again.

Reactions: Loraines and Juicyj

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Never! Everyone who knows me know I am T1D. I work as a receptionist in a very busy garage and half the customers know as well.

Reactions: Glucobabu

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You honest bunch I'm just feeling a bit miffed as I was turned down for something... this hasn't happened before in my 12 yrs of diabetes so I'm almost wishing I'd notbeen so honest!

Reactions: Loraines

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You honest bunch I'm just feeling a bit miffed as I was turned down for something... this hasn't happened before in my 12 yrs of diabetes so I'm almost wishing I'd notbeen so honest!

Hi Jessie, can you tell us the circumstances at all?, type 1 is classed as a disability (if you're in the UK?) and were they quite open about why you didn't get the 'something'? x

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi KK, it was just a procedure at a beauty salon, so nothing life changing! And I completely understand her reasons / policy. Just makes you think.

Shannon27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get taken the p*** out of because i bring it up at home "all the time". It's a huge part of my life so why shouldn't i :) bearing in mind that "all the time" to my partners brothers is like saying every other month - oh i can't take you to Tesco right now because my blood sugars are a bit low!

Reactions: Marie 2

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi KK, it was just a procedure at a beauty salon, so nothing life changing! And I completely understand her reasons / policy. Just makes you think.

Aw, thanks for the reply, I guess it's like the notice we ignore at a hot tub about not using it with certain conditions......

Reactions: Marie 2 and jessie

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I’ve been turned down for a beauty treatment too as I understand it had something to do with their insurance - was also miffed as I have pretty good control so healing wouldn’t of been an issue, that’s really annoying isn’t it !!

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes same, my control's ok too so I feel like it should be my decision. It's annoying!!

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get taken the p*** out of because i bring it up at home "all the time". It's a huge part of my life so why shouldn't i :) bearing in mind that "all the time" to my partners brothers is like saying every other month - oh i can't take you to Tesco right now because my blood sugars are a bit low!
That's not fair Shannon

MoonSpirit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Theme park rides in the USA usually had signs listing diabetes as a medical condition excluding you from riding. Always ignored those rules.

Reactions: Dodo and jessie

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Theme park rides in the USA usually had signs listing diabetes as a medical condition excluding you from riding. Always ignored those rules.

Along with bad backs, neck problems and on and on...if everybody took notice there would be nobody on the rides!

Reactions: XxTinkerxx

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got turned away from a beauty salon once.
They told me they were beauticians not magicians.:hilarious::hilarious:.

Seriously though , although it hasn’t happened to me I have heard of gyms not inducting T1’s on insurance grounds.

Reactions: Dodo and jessie

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I can imagine lying about it if I wanted a tattoo or such, so I guess that's comparable.

Reactions: jessie

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Lawsuits are costly. And they cover themselves with those clauses, hopefully they do because anyone can sue anyone. I don't blame them at all. So if we ignore the warnings and don't tell, then it becomes totally on us and our responsibility, our decision.

I have sometimes told so I get an honest answer (surgery) and sometimes not if I really wanted to do something and felt I could. More of an omission of telling versus a lie (gym and hot tubs, although not hot tubs anymore, my sugars skyrocket nowadays)

Last edited:
Reactions: Shannon27