Where to start...

mark210172

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So. I’m feeling confused, angry, upset, panicked, daunted, disappointed (in myself)...and I’ve not even been diagnosed yet!! But I know...

A little about me - 47yo, married male, Surrey, UK.

You know when something isn’t quite right? I’ve been feeling run down for a good few months. Thirsty, peeing a little more often, particularly at night, and more recently intermittent tingling and numbness in my hands and now my feet.

Plucked up the courage to go and see the Doc last Friday (15th November). I told him my symptoms and that I thought I might have the D-word (I’d researched online and scared myself half to death). Did a pee test. He told me that ‘I might be on to something’ as there was some Glucose in my sample and he told me I should have a blood test.

I went for the blood test yesterday and now it’s a waiting game. I think I’m feeling progressively worse, but not sure if it’s in my mind or not. Told my wife yesterday (was dreading that!) when I got back from the hospital and we both broke down and had a good cry. Much needed and so glad that I told her. But I don’t want her to blame in an way responsible.

Now feeling really anxious and confused. Lost my appetite and worried about eating anything apart from yoghurt and nuts! Drinking lots of water. Walking. A lot. Although I always walked between 7-10k steps a day! Assuming this is a natural reaction!?

I don’t see myself as particularly overweight or unfit, although I do have a sweet tooth. And I guess my job and lifestyle means that I’m not always able to eat the right things at the right time.

Feel like I would just like confirmation now, so that I can deal with it. All this waiting and uncertainty isn’t good. I think it’s just making my symptoms worse. And of course a lack of sleep isn’t helping!

Trying to stay positive. I just joined this forum today and already feeling buoyed reading some of the posts. And of course cathartic to write this all down.

Any thoughts, advice and guidance much appreciated.

All for now.
Mark

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
If you are diagnosed (assuming it's T2) you first port of call MUST be to ask what medicines you're being prescribed.

Critical information Mark. Hope it's all OK :)

Reactions: jjraak

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Mark
Hope you get your answer soon. The great news is that you can reverse out of it with lifestyle (pills will only manage symptoms). the help of au understanding spouse will be invaluable.
I am part of Surrey Downs Diabetes UK (type 1 volunteer) so do get in touch if you're in that part of the county.
However it could just be you're NOT diabetic! Note that weight is only 1 factor as not all diabetics are fat and not all fat people are diabetic... There's no point trying to second guess it at this stage.
Let us know your result!

Reactions: jjraak

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are diagnosed it is not your fault. If you are diagnosed, it is important to find out what type of diabetes you have. Ask for your hba1c number when you get your results. Read around the forum and you will see there are many people who manage their diabetes very well. It's not the end of the world.

Ask lots of questions.

mariefrance

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Mark
Like xfieldok, I'd say if you're diagnosed with Type II diabetes know that it's not the end of the world. I was diagnosed two years ago and I am fitter and healthier now than I have been in years.
Keep a record of your hba1c number so you can compare it against future tests as things improve.
Be aware there is often a difference between the dietary advice given by NHS staff (the generic Eatwell plate) and the type of advice that has worked for people on here which focuses on eating less carbs. But there's time for more on that if you get a diagnosis.
Finally, I'd say stay on this forum, it's a truly invaluable resource

Best wishes to you and your wife.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @mark210172

Sorry to hear your tale.

Good you shared, best move i made.

it's a team game, after all.

Good luck finding out details asap, so you can take proper stock and begin recovery and moving forward whatever it is that has you poorly..
Just in case it is T2,..and you do go Low carb

that WHAT to eat ...is common.
i think most of us starve until we get a handle on it.

maybe these post might make a little sense food wise.
they were what i found worked for me in those early weeks.

on the understanding that while your not DX'd as yet...
you will be eating something between now and then, right

so maybe better off eating something a little more likely to be less processed.

btw, the foods i always thought of as 'healthy' for me as T2, really aren't
i now tend to eat only what i cook myself, mainly.now i'm that bit further on in my journey

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-diet-help.167442/#post-2116888

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-today.75781/page-1102#post-1961481

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Some people are genetically disposed to be bad at processing carbs, just like others can be gluten or lactose intolerant. If you're one of those people, most modern diets tend to have too many carbs in them for you, and you end up with T2 diabetes. And be aware that weight gain is a very common symptom of T2 diabetes, rather than being a cause. So no need for a blame game here, other than blaming the supermarkets who create low fat so called healthy food by replacing the fats with carbohydrate.

So, if you are T2, don't panic. It may well be that you won't have to do too much to your diet to change your situation, though you'll probably need to train that sweet tooth to crave cheese rather than cheesecake:). If you're T1/LADA (not impossible though doctors tend to wrongly assume that anyone over 40 who presents with your symptoms is T2) then it'll be more complicated, because those people actually stop producing insulin and have to inject, but it still isn't your fault and it isn't the end of the world.

Good luck.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Good you've joined this forum. You may be prescribed Metformin which many of us have. It's a good safe drug but doesn't have big effect on blood sugar. A low-carb diet is the highest priority. If the GP prescribes statins be aware that they are not a diabetes drug and should only be prescribed after you have had a full lipids test and looked at the various ratios to determine risk with the GP.

mouseee

You may get results back very quickly. Mine were back within 24hrs. At least when you know, you know.

Most people on here are really proactive and taken control through diet. I had all those symptoms and more 4 months ago. None at all now. BS under control generally unless I make a bad food choice... and I try not to.

Best place to hang out and ask questions.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was diagnosed I called in at the butcher, ordered a whole lamb and had steak and pork chops the first two days. It is by no means a bad thing to be diagnosed type two, as long as you are a) ordinary and b) lucky.
I get to eat lots of salads, stirfries, roasted and fried things - eggs and cheese, so there is not much of a problem with that.
I buy Livlife bread, or the protein bread from my local Asda, which is just 4 gm of carbs per slice.
From what I recall a positive for glucose test of urine means over 10 mmol/l in the blood - so you might well get a positive diagnosis, but it can mean delicious meals, easy weightloss, more energy, even better sex as blood glucose levels reduce.

sno0opy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was in exactly the same position a few months ago. It does get better and quickly starting with diagnosis.

The hba1c test you received only takes a few days to do, if you call up your Dr they should have results for you now. If you wait for the letters it takes much longer, if it's high they will likely send you in for another sample before confirming diagnosis with an appointment at your gp.

It doesn't seem it now, and it didn't for me a few months ago but it really isn't the end of the world. After a few weeks of discomfort in stoping the cravings I was having after making diet changes, I really honestly feel good about what I'm eating now and don't really crave things like I did.

Once you get that bit under control it really does not affect your life at all (if you do indeed get diagnosed)