Flu Vaccine

annettekp

Both Erland and I were offered the flu vaccine last autumn so we went together and got it done. My eldest son wasn't offered it as he has no health issues (I have asthma) but I did get him vaccinated against swine flu when he was offered that.

I'll probably do the same this year.

stoney

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Twisty

I get the flu injection due to being slightly asthmatic but I have never made James (T1 and Coeliac) have it as I have heard of bad reactions (not that I have ever had a bad reaction) and did not want to give James any more to have to deal with. So far so good, James has had the usual colds every year but nothing that he nor we couldn't cope with. I know everyone is different but I will not make James have it if he does not want to.

Hope this input helps :)

leggott

I'm undecided at the moment but not sure why. Again I'm not generally against immunisation.

My kids did not have it last year, but did the year before. Like your daughter they are very healthy. We haven't been offered this yet so I've got a little more thinking time.

Vikki2

Hi
My daughter who is 6 was offered the flu vaccine last yr, as was I being her mother/carer. We both had the vaccine and then we decided to go private & get my husband & her 2 siblings vaccinated also. Trying to manage diabetes plus an illness can be a nightmare especially if it is something as hard hitting as flu. My husband & I also felt that we should be vaccinated because if we were to get really ill then there is no-one else to look after her. None of us had any bad reaction to the vaccination and we plan to do exactly the same again this year. I remember last year it was extremely difficult to find a surgery to vaccinate privately as demand was so huge and they were running out. These are our reasons for vaccinating but at the end of the day it is a personal choice - good luck in your decision!
Vikki

serankine

My daughter was diagnosed late november last year. She was offered the flu vaccine and we had it. Just thought she has to deal with so much and didnt want her being ill on top of everything else. She had no side effects had a little bit of nurofen after but that was mainly since she got herself worked up after having the injection. Will have it again this year.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Khaleb didn't have the flu vac this year as it was discouraged because of his age. I think there had been some bad reactions to the combined swine flu and flu vac. He did get a pnumonia vaccine and I believe it has made this last winter somewhat bearable. Khaleb had at least 6 courses of anti-biotics the winter before after getting colds, and then he would get infections he just couldn't get over. He has not had a single course of anti-biotics this year. Khaleb will be 5 in December so I'm planning for him to get vaccinated next year. There was a child with Whooping Cough at Khaleb's daycare this year due to non-vaccination. Khaleb has still had quite a number of colds but nothing too serious.

sugar2

Quite understand why you didn't bother last year...I agree, there seemed little point. This year I would go for it. I have the flu jab every year since it has been going, and have never had a problem with teh jab...or had flu either. I am generally healthy, but felt that teh flu jab would increase my chances of avoiding teh flu, and the assosiated diabetes control problems. My children have not been vacinated, but it were offered, I would certainly have them immunised.

I think it is one of those issues that people can feel very strongly about...so what ever you do, someone will disagree!

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We don't have the annual flu vaccination and won't be again this year, we've never had it done. Jess has had swine flu and did okay, her readings were up a bit but nothing we couldn't cope with, no ketones and not badly unwell. It's a personal decision which only you can make. Jess managed okay getting through it but some people don't, you won't know how your child will be. I don't think diabetes is going to make it worse, just more difficult to manage but diabetes doesn't guarantee they will get it badly. I remember being afraid that Jess would get swine flu and her diabetes would certainly make her have it badly, that wasn't true. Her brother (non diabetic) came down with it two days after her and they were no different to each other in how it affected them. We had planned on getting her vaccinated but she came down with it before the vaccine was available, now I'm glad we didn't have it done, it really wasn't bad at all. I admit that I am uncomfortable with vaccines so naturally I prefer not to have it done unless it's absolutely necessary.

we have all had the flu jab this year (and last) Sylvie is 3 and had the flu before diabetes and it was truly awful so I am happy to get her vaccinated now, especially as we now have the added complication of having to manage her blood sugars. Sylvie had hers 2 weeks ago and has shown no adverse reaction so far.
I had mine today and the pharmacist (whom I really trust), said that he attended a conference where it was debated that all children should be vaccinated which would then effectively mean no-one would get it. Apparently they did this in one Canadian state and it worked really well. Costs NHS money initially but eventually they save as they have to treat fewer people for full blown flu or complications....... It's obviously a personal decision but I tend to come down in favour of vaccinations as I think we're kind of lucky to have the option.

LoisCoxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i get a flu vacc every year as i have awful problems dealing with blood sugars, injections and illness as a mix. usually my sigars are well controlled but even with a cold they go through the roof! i can't deal with picking up flu aswell! i've never had an adverse reaction to the flu jab apart from a slight heat on the sight where vaccinated, i'd highly recommend it!

MagnusKnowles

LoisCoxx said:
i get a flu vacc every year as i have awful problems dealing with blood sugars, injections and illness as a mix. usually my sigars are well controlled but even with a cold they go through the roof! i can't deal with picking up flu aswell! i've never had an adverse reaction to the flu jab apart from a slight heat on the sight where vaccinated, i'd highly recommend it!

Thanks for suggestion, I will give that try I hope it will provide good help for me.