High levels in the evening - any advice?

Daver

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Malicious liars, people who interrupt, war.
Hi all,

I'd be grateful if anyone can give advice.

I'm on Levemir & Novorapid and have relatively good control throughout the day and used to have good control in the evening. Recently, however, I have begun to read high in the evening after my evening meal (16.8 last night, 17.2, 12's and 13's on other nights). I'm counting the carbs -which is new to me and working out my insulin, using the same method as I do throughout the day, but it seems completely off the mark in the eveing. As a result; I try a corrective shot which does bring the levels down, although I don't like corrections just before sleeping as it risks a hypo but then I can wake up high....

Oh the frustrations!!! Last year, when I found out I had diabetes I managed to get good control straight away and now it feels like it's slipping away. I guess my honeymoon period is finally over! If anyone has experienced this or is familiar with what to do to rememdy it without rollercoasting your levels... PLEASE let me know - it's much appreciated!

Best to all

Dave

jones_48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Dave,

That does sound awfully confusing :S I'm also on the same insulins so will try and offer some advice..
perhaps it's due to eating different foods/carbs for your dinner compared to your other meals? foods with a higher glycaemic index (bread, rice etc) can cause your blood sugar to rise quicker than those with a lower GI.

I've always been told that my blood sugar 2 hours after a meal should be no more than 2.0mmol higher than it was beforehand. If yours is rising above this then it would indicate the need for more novorapid :)

I would also comment that maybe you need to increase your levemir units, however as it is just in the evenings you're having problems, i'm not too sure about this.

Hopefully someone else will be able to offer you some better advice! If not, try asking you're diabetic nurse :)

Pneu

My first advice here would be to make sure that your Levemir is working correctly in the evening... easiest way to tell this is to fast one evening and test your BG's hourly.. if they begin to increase then in all likelihood you need to increase or split your Levemir dose... although we are told it works for 24 hours a lot of people find it wears off after 18 or so hours...

If your BG's are stable without the meal then its the Novorapid that's incorrect... so you are either a) counting the carbs wrong or b) using the wrong ratio of Novorapid to Carbs...

scni

check your bloods every 15 minutes after dinner. annoying-yes but will give you an idea of what exactly is going on after your dinner and insulin. then adjust from there.