High reading

Stevefranky

Hi just wondering what do people do to get there blood sugars down when they get a high reading I know what to do when low just not sure when high

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi just wondering what do people do to get there blood sugars down when they get a high reading I know what to do when low just not sure when high
Hi Stevefranky.
I'm not sure why you mention knowing what to do when blood sugars are low. - If as it appears, you are a Type 2 and not on any medication then you Blood Sugars should never be too low.

What to do when they are high is simple:
A). Skip the next meal.
B). Take a 30min brisk walk to use up some glucose (though not hard exercise - because that may temporarily raise your Blood Glucose).
C). Instead of skipping the next meal, make it a high fat zero Carb one. For example eggs, meat, fish, cheese (on their own or in any combination).

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you clarify what diet you eat (tell us what you ate yesterday for example), we might then be able to help you not go high in the first place?
But we do need to know if you’re on any meds, as Ian says without meds you shouldn’t be getting hypos.

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, when high I tend to drink lots water...not sure if it does much as it can take hours and hours for levels to fall back down. A walk outside maybe but not much more as tend to feel lethargic and unwell.
When too low I reach for a jelly baby.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Take a walk. Half an hour or so. You should come down some. But if you're high often, you really need to check your diet.

Anniya84

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Food that is killing me slowly
When I used to have high readings at the start, I drank a lot of water and went for a brisk 20 min walk. Once you change your diet, it becomes less of an occurrence.

Stevefranky

Hi Stevefranky.
I'm not sure why you mention knowing what to do when blood sugars are low. - If as it appears, you are a Type 2 and not on any medication then you Blood Sugars should never be too low.

What to do when they are high is simple:
A). Skip the next meal.
B). Take a 30min brisk walk to use up some glucose (though not hard exercise - because that may temporarily raise your Blood Glucose).
C). Instead of skipping the next meal, make it a high fat zero Carb one. For example eggs, meat, fish, cheese (on their own or in any combination).
Hi I am not on meds but just recently my bloods have dropped to below 4

Stevefranky

Thanks for all the advice I am not on meds at the moment but just recently my bloods have been all over the place. I know what is causing it when I was first diagnosed I went on the low carb diet but just recently I have fell off the wagon and been eating things I know I shouldn't. I am trying to be good again but I am finding it hard at the moment and I don't know why.

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I am not on meds but just recently my bloods have dropped to below 4
Before I was on meds and was prediabetic I too have dropped too low but it was only when I’d had to fast, or not eat for a longer period of time than I was used to, like before an operation and not allowed to eat. I would get the shaky hands feel sweaty etc and they tested and gave me a dextrose tablet. Could it be you aren’t eating enough or going a long period of time before eating? Then eating something that sends you high? I felt unwell when I would drop and rise high so I sympathise. It’s not easy! I have since taken meds that can cause hypos, Gliclazide and Repaglinide. Both of which I have dropped to 3 on. I’m now being tested for MODY. It might be worth trying to see diabetes nurse again for some support and a plan in place, maybe they could do another hba1c? I have always felt more positive when I felt a plan was in place, to try something for 3 months then review.