Dexcom on NHS Rather than Libre

properpatches

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Saw my DSN today and was told that the Freestyle Libre is now available on the NHS for everybody.
Not sure if this is London only or a nationwide thing.
I'm unsure about the libre as it doesn't send results directly to your phone or give alerts. I'm aware of the Miao Miao add on which will do this, but it seems a bit of a pain as it doesn't clip on naturally - you have to use some kind of double sided tape to attach it or wear an armband.
Is anybody here on Dexcom through the NHS. I've trialed it for a month and really liked the hardware and software.
I'm not sure if the access to Libre on the NHS is restricted to Libre only or if we have the option of other CGM's which we're/DSN's aren't aware of.
Thanks

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Saw my DSN today and was told that the Freestyle Libre is now available on the NHS for everybody.
Not sure if this is London only or a nationwide thing.
I'm unsure about the libre as it doesn't send results directly to your phone or give alerts. I'm aware of the Miao Miao add on which will do this, but it seems a bit of a pain as it doesn't clip on naturally - you have to use some kind of double sided tape to attach it or wear an armband.
Is anybody here on Dexcom through the NHS. I've trialed it for a month and really liked the hardware and software.
I'm not sure if the access to Libre on the NHS is restricted to Libre only or if we have the option of other CGM's which we're/DSN's aren't aware of.
Thanks

The Libre is SUPPOSED to be available for every type 1 BUT unfortunately it isnt at the moment. You still have to fit a criteria to get the Libre as well. Dexcom is available BUT you need to be jumping thru hoops backwards with a blindfold on and feet tied together to get one on the NHS :)
I have the Libre and purchased the MM to go with it and love the alarms and bells and whistles that yoou can do with the MM. Not used Dexcom so cannot comment on the similarities

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The Libre is SUPPOSED to be available for every type 1 BUT unfortunately it isnt at the moment. You still have to fit a criteria to get the Libre as well. Dexcom is available BUT you need to be jumping thru hoops backwards with a blindfold on and feet tied together to get one on the NHS :)
I have the Libre and purchased the MM to go with it and love the alarms and bells and whistles that yoou can do with the MM. Not used Dexcom so cannot comment on the similarities
Sorry but it is not prescribed to every type 1 as a right and was never meant to be. It is available to those who are eligible which they reckon to be about 20% of the type 1 population. Hopefully the NHS will catch up with the improved closed loop systems soon and give Abbott a run for their money too!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve just switched from Libre to Dexcom as I found Libre dangerously inaccurate, even with a MiaoMiao and blood calibratable software. It would drift off badly overnight, although it was fine for the first year - since they “updated” it, it’s been horrendous. I’m only on my second Dexcom sensor, and while the first 24 hours give a very noisy signal, it’s been spot on when I do my at least twice daily bloods. I’m going to presoak my next one like I used to with Libre.

I am very lucky to be prescribed my Dexcom, and am the first and only one of two at my Welsh hospital (the other was already using it when they moved here). I think it’s because I meet the criteria for a Libre but that’s not suitable for me any longer.

Reactions: porl69

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Dexcom is a completely different criteria compared to the libre. Unfortunately not many are on the Dexcom (it’s expensive) and there are a lot of people struggling to get a libre on the NHS due to various reasons. Libre 2 is coming out soon, possibly next year and that makes noises and alarms.

I have the libre and I am still on my 6 month trial. But I’ll soon be making a switch to the Medtronic guardian sensors - this didn’t take any convincing with my consultant. Both my dsn and consultant agreed on this, however with the dexcom, my consultant wasn’t completely persuaded. But with libre and soon Medtronic CGM, he has given the go ahead.

malky39

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I too have the libre and find it pretty accurate and good for spotting patterns overnight etc. for adjusting basal rate. I did ask my DSN if it would be an option to go on the dexcom, but for me to pay the difference between that and the libre. As say roughly £90 per month for the libre I would gladly pay the extra £70 but was told this was not possible.

Reactions: porl69

properpatches

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all. Have again spoken to my DSN - she says that Dexcom is sadly not an option on the NHS at the moment.
However - she is under the impression that very recently it has become a nationwide situation that we're applicable for a Libre, pending a 6week or so trial to see how much we check our selves to make sure it's worth them giving us one. Maybe worth checking in with your DSN's.
I think I'm going to go for it but only because it saves me forking out £160 a month of my own money on a Dexcom (I still think Dexcom is the best CGM out there though).

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all. Have again spoken to my DSN - she says that Dexcom is sadly not an option on the NHS at the moment.
However - she is under the impression that very recently it has become a nationwide situation that we're applicable for a Libre, pending a 6week or so trial to see how much we check our selves to make sure it's worth them giving us one. Maybe worth checking in with your DSN's.
I think I'm going to go for it but only because it saves me forking out £160 a month of my own money on a Dexcom (I still think Dexcom is the best CGM out there though).

Both the Libre and Dexcom are two different things. Dexcom is avaliable but under a very strict criteria and the libre has a criteria too but it seems far easier to get than a CGM in some CCGs. You could ask your consultant about both since it is only your consultant that can get funding approved for CGMs, libres and pumps.

Paul520785

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to add more information (But not Necessarily helpful!)
T1 for 60+ years
Saw consultant in March - he then started the process - chased in June to find I was in the que to attend a course.
Attended the course last week and started first sensor this morning.
On the course they said two things which are important >
1) will work with scanner and phone only id scanner is used to start the sensor
2) Phone app will also provide info to care team as required by NHS Wrong unless you set up an additional link on a different website which is absolute rubbish when viewed on a phone! Abbot Support knowledge is significantly lacking - 6 calls then requested instructions by e-mail and the confirmation the website is designed to work with a computer not a phone.

The only helpful bit on this post is - use www1.libreview.com which is not the same as searching "Libre View" on google!

Now checking results against finger pricks - even remembering the sensor runs about 15 minutes behind not impressed yet!
Was hoping to leave the steel finger club but not likely soon.

Paul