Lucazade Zero Ignorance Dangerous!

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on Gliclazide , Metformin and Insulin for several years (Type 2) It is not unusual as diabetes progresses (25 years now)

Diabetes doesn't have to progress, its not inevitable.
I see your new welcome.

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
I just shook my head. I didn’t ask where he got the information from.
Thank you so much for your reply. Have checked again some of the many medical research papers on this subject since writing to you. I was surprised to find just how STRONG was the opinion that sweetners did not raise blood sugars - an opinion endorsed by the FDA who have listed quite a number of sweeteners that they accept and which is similarly used by the NHS

Rylando88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
She is on insulin and gliclazide. This only happened today, and the doctors/her doctor doesn’t work on weekends. It would only be a junior doctor. I pointed out that 15grams of carbs is needed to treat a hypo so he can work out how many bottles you’d have to drink. He just said but it’s lucazade. Then said, well it will have artificial sweeteners in and they raise your blood sugar
Just tell them that lucozade now has a sugar free version so they would need to check that it was the correct type of lucozade before trying to treat a hypo!!

Aidan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lucozade was traditionally a very high-glucose therapeutic drink that was frequently bought by people visiting hospital patients.
More recently, between product diversification and the sugar tax, there are so many variations of the drink today that the glucose content is a guaranteed source of confusion. But regardless of which lucozade product is in question, it's definitely no longer a high sugar drink and there's no good reason for diabetics to use it. "Lift" is a good product for treating hypos with 15g glucose; and there are several low sugar drinks available such as water or any of the "diet" drinks when sugar is not needed. I would suggest to get your mother drinks where the sugar content is clear to all, rather than depending on (possibly jaded) junior doctors to be up-to-date on the ever-evolving soft drinks industry.