halva candy, wonderful candy for diabetics with minimal effect on sugar, anyone tried?

kaup

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey,

I noticed recently that when i eat halva my blood sugar barely gets affected.

halva is crumbly and usually made from tahini (sesame paste) or other nut butters, such as sunflower seed butter. Its primary ingredients are nut butter and sugar. Halva may also be based on various other ingredients, including beans, lentils, and vegetables such as carrots, pumpkins, yams and squashes.

Has anyone tried it? otherwise, I would recommend it for diabetic wo want to snack on candy with minimal effects on their sugar.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone who wants to try, please be careful. I love the stuff but it works very well to treat a hypo for me...

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to love halva/halwa. Unfortunately the sugar content is not good for me. I would treat with caution, taste and test.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Halva is typically 60 percent carbohydrate so keep it for those times when you need to boost blood glucose levels - obviously totally out of range for ordinary type twos.

JohnyT2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Halva / Halwa Indian Food ?
Given the amount of sugar that goes into it and the base made out of carb heavy component like wheat, lentil/dal etc it could be good for someone in hypo but for sure not something a diabetic person can adjust easily.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pre diabetes I used to buy halva from our local health food shop until they closed down.. Then a few diabetic years back I found some Turkish low carb/sugar free halva on Amazon - unfortunately the sweetener in it seriously disagreed with me...(It's still listed but not currently available)

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey,

I noticed recently that when i eat halva my blood sugar barely gets affected.

halva is crumbly and usually made from tahini (sesame paste) or other nut butters, such as sunflower seed butter. Its primary ingredients are nut butter and sugar. Halva may also be based on various other ingredients, including beans, lentils, and vegetables such as carrots, pumpkins, yams and squashes.

Has anyone tried it? otherwise, I would recommend it for diabetic wo want to snack on candy with minimal effects on their sugar.

Having lived in the Middle East for 11 years, as a diabetic I would steer clear of Halwa....it's basically pure sugar.