Isolated

EllieLou

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

I’ve been feeling pretty isolated recently and feel like I don’t really have any to turn to who actually understands. I don’t know any other type 1’s and I wanted to change that!
I’m 23yrs old and live in Surrey. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in organising a group or something. I was thinking just females for now maybe aged between 18-30 so we could talk about diabetes and down days amongst ‘normal’ things and actually become friends and a good support for one another.
I’m so sick of going out and being the only one with a pump and a sensor and everyone looking, pointing and asking me what it is and how it works. It’s great to spread info on all the amazing technology but not when I’m trying to enjoy myself!
I was down the pub the other day and my partners friend realised I was diabetic and he actually cried for me! I just want to go out for once and it actually be ‘normal’ to inject or get out your pump!

So I was thinking trying to arrange a lunch or coffee meet up but not sure if this would be of interest or benefit others? Or even just chatting on here.

Please let me know what you all think or private message me if you want :)

Ellie

Reactions: Juicyj

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Hi guys,

I’ve been feeling pretty isolated recently and feel like I don’t really have any to turn to who actually understands. I don’t know any other type 1’s and I wanted to change that!
I’m 23yrs old and live in Surrey. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in organising a group or something. I was thinking just females for now maybe aged between 18-30 so we could talk about diabetes and down days amongst ‘normal’ things and actually become friends and a good support for one another.
I’m so sick of going out and being the only one with a pump and a sensor and everyone looking, pointing and asking me what it is and how it works. It’s great to spread info on all the amazing technology but not when I’m trying to enjoy myself!
I was down the pub the other day and my partners friend realised I was diabetic and he actually cried for me! I just want to go out for once and it actually be ‘normal’ to inject or get out your pump!

So I was thinking trying to arrange a lunch or coffee meet up but not sure if this would be of interest or benefit others? Or even just chatting on here.

Ellie

Hi Ellie

We used to have a fairly active group who were meeting up in London a few times each year but they seem to have drifted away from the forums over the last year or 2.

If you don't get much response here then checkout diabetes.org to see if they already have a group running near you.
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/how_we_help/local_support_groups

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/how_we_help/type-1-events

Reactions: therower

SB.25

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys,

Ellie
Hello,

sorry you feel like that. I know quite a few T1 meet ups are arranged through instagram. I follow quite a few fellow young women who have T1 and they post about meet ups, although I have never attended.

Search for such people with different hashtags such as #diabetesUK.

Hope that helps!

rachel162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Ellie,

I can definitely relate! I'm 25, and started attending the meetups organised on here a couple of years ago... it's incredible to just be surrounded by people that get it. We're pretty quiet on the forum now, but have moved to fb (T1D London Meetups group) and we get together every few months.

There are groups springing up in other parts of the country as well if you'd prefer further west, so keep an eye out on your preferred social media platform!

Good luck finding some fun T1s!

Rachel

Reactions: urbanracer

izzyj09

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’m 23, live in Surrey and feeling pretty low about being diabetic as well at the moment...shoot me a message if you’d like to chat.... :)

sofs888

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Ellie, I'm also 23 and living in Surrey with T1! I've only been diagnosed for just under two years and struggle a lot! It's so hard when you look fine but inside feel like a zombie and no one gets it!!! I would be keen to get a group going too :)

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!
I’m 23 & completely understand you! If you need to message me then feel free! Unfortunately I don’t live near you but always around to talk x