keeping bg normal

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did the Exante diet (3 shakes a day) for two months and lost a lot ofweight then moved onto 2 shakes and grrens and tofu and continued to lose weight for 2 more months. My bg went from 9.5 to 5.6 in the first 3 months. Now I have either a Purition shake with unsweetened almond milk or keto granola with almond milk for breakfast, keto crackers (almond and flaxseed) with low fat sheese triangles for lunch and steamed brocolli/cauli/courgette/kale and with tofu or paneer for dinner, but my blood glucose has started to rise. I sometimes have a snack of a couple of squares of 100% dark chocolate or a packet of Cheesies (that says 0g carbs on the packet). I don't know why my bg is rising. Are the things I'm eating not right? I don't eat meat, fish or eggs due to my faith so any advice would be happily received. I am still trying to lose weight, but at a slower pace.

Reactions: Rustytypin

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m not familiar with tofu or paneer, but the rest of your diet seems low carb so I guess you need to look at other reasons for your rise in levels. Maybe you’re brewing a cold or other infection? Have you just started a new tub of testing strips? Are you particularly stressed just now? Has the weather changed recently, some people have higher or lower sugars when the temperature drops or rises? How much of a rise have you actually seen?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did the Exante diet (3 shakes a day) for two months and lost a lot ofweight then moved onto 2 shakes and grrens and tofu and continued to lose weight for 2 more months. My bg went from 9.5 to 5.6 in the first 3 months. Now I have either a Purition shake with unsweetened almond milk or keto granola with almond milk for breakfast, keto crackers (almond and flaxseed) with low fat sheese triangles for lunch and steamed brocolli/cauli/courgette/kale and with tofu or paneer for dinner, but my blood glucose has started to rise. I sometimes have a snack of a couple of squares of 100% dark chocolate or a packet of Cheesies (that says 0g carbs on the packet). I don't know why my bg is rising. Are the things I'm eating not right? I don't eat meat, fish or eggs due to my faith so any advice would be happily received. I am still trying to lose weight, but at a slower pace.

@Guna108 when you say your BG is rising, do you mean that you’re getting higher than usual post-meal readings, or are the figures you quote just one-off readings, or are they daily averages? If the former, then I’d investigate the offending meals, if the middle option (one-off or once a day), I’d say you need to test more to understand what is happening and if it’s your daily averages, perhaps it’s the frequency of eating or something in your new regime is causing problems. A difficult one to unpick without more data.

Guna108

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Guna108 when you say your BG is rising, do you mean that you’re getting higher than usual post-meal readings, or are the figures you quote just one-off readings, or are they daily averages? If the former, then I’d investigate the offending meals, if the middle option (one-off or once a day), I’d say you need to test more to understand what is happening and if it’s your daily averages, perhaps it’s the frequency of eating or something in your new regime is causing problems. A difficult one to unpick without more data.
They are one off readings that I take a few times a week. I haven't been testing after each meal as I am eating the same things every day. This morning I took my fasting bg at 8am, after coming back from a walk and it was 6.8. Previously, reading were in the 5s. now they are in the 6s.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They are one off readings that I take a few times a week. I haven't been testing after each meal as I am eating the same things every day. This morning I took my fasting bg at 8am, after coming back from a walk and it was 6.8. Previously, reading were in the 5s. now they are in the 6s.

In my opinion one-off readings don’t tell you anything useful, especially if you’re trying to understand trends and patterns. I’d suggest being a bit more systematic for a few weeks, or even better, if you’re able to fund a Libre for a couple of weeks. That can be really eye opening.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
low fat sheese triangles for lunch and steamed brocolli/cauli/courgette/kale and with tofu or paneer for dinner
Hello @Guna108, what a beautiful avatar you have chosen! I suggest you check the carbs in your cheese triangles and, if possible, in the paneer. I eat a lot of cheese and I have found that the carb content varies enormously. If you want to minimise the carbs in your diet, eating low fat too is usually not the best idea. The lower the fat the higher the carbs! I find that even the same type of cheese eg Cheddar can vary from nil carbs to several grammes. I always read the packet or check beforehand on the supermarket websites- it's wonderful how much nutritional info. is available nowadays. I'm not suggesting that this could account for all the rise you have seen, but it might help.