Hba1c help me please

Sophlalala

Hi guys, I'm new to all of this so bare with me if I get anything wrong I'm trying my best to be accurate here

So my daughter had the hba1c test done in October because she kept weeing and drinking, having tummy pain and always tired.. it came back as 6.5% (48mmol) which flagged up as borderline. Gp has ordered another test to be done amongst thyroid, caeliac and iron levels to be tested too.
She has told me not to worry
And that they don't think it's anything?
When I've looked at typical test results a non diabetic shouldn't have a test result that high, she hasn't been poorly or anything else to explain why. Can anyone shed any light? Is type 1 progressive on children, have I just caught it early?
Thank you for any replies
Love from - Trying not to panic parent
(Sophie)

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Being proactive will help you calm the panic while you wait for the results of further testing. Have her stop eating all sugar and cut down on carbs as much as possible, starting with bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and the like. If she's hungry, then she can eat more meat, full fat diary, butter, bacon and eggs. This is most easily done if the whole family makes diet changes with her. Diabetes is not progressive at any age if blood sugar is brought under control.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Being proactive will help you calm the panic while you wait for the results of further testing. Have her stop eating all sugar and cut down on carbs as much as possible, starting with bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and the like. If she's hungry, then she can eat more meat, full fat diary, butter, bacon and eggs. This is most easily done if the whole family makes diet changes with her. Diabetes is not progressive at any age if blood sugar is brought under control.

Hi Jat, I'm not sure I would do that at this stage, if they're doing more tests and so on any drastic change in diet between now and then may skew any results and potentially mask any actual issues? In my opinion she needs a diagnosis first before a diet change, especially if she is a young child.

@Sophlalala, how old is your daughter? x

Last edited: