Type 2 Diagnosed as type 2 but could it be type 1

Amyj30

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed as type 2 around 18 months ago. My question is has anyone been diagnosed as type 2 but actually ended up being type 1?

I’m overweight and I haven’t lost any weight that I’m aware of. I know weight loss is a big indicator of type 1 but is that always the case? Can people be overweight and still be type 1?

Does it make you more likely to end up type 1 if you have type 2?

I have symptoms which I presume are type 2 related such as slow healing wounds, itching under arms, legs and genital area. I also have increased thirst and feel hungry very often. I find my mood is effected also.

I have a blood test every 3 months but don’t have the money to get a pen and strips ect for home testing so I have no way of knowing if things are changing?

Just looking for other people’s experiences really and to see if anyone was like I am now and ended up type 1 or miss diagnosed?

Many thanks

Amy

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Possible, and many T1's who get it later in life have a misdiagnosis of T2 first, not always with weight loss.
But most people diagnosed with T2 are T2, T1 is much rarer.

The symptoms you describe are symptoms of high blood glucose, no difference with T1 or T2.
What is it that makes you think of T1? Have you changed your eating habits in any way? According to your profile you're on metformin. Metformin helps a little but usually isn't enough without adjusting your diet.

Reactions: ziggy_w

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was originally diagnose Type 2 by my general doctor. Then the endocrinologist did more extensive testing and found out I am actually Type 1. My blood sugar and the other diabetic symptoms did not go away until after I started using insulin.

Reactions: Rose22 and Amyj30

Amyj30

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Possible, and many T1's who get it later in life have a misdiagnosis of T2 first, not always with weight loss.
But most people diagnosed with T2 are T2, T1 is much rarer.

The symptoms you describe are symptoms of high blood glucose, no difference with T1 or T2.
What is it that makes you think of T1? Have you changed your eating habits in any way? According to your profile you're on metformin. Metformin helps a little but usually isn't enough without adjusting your diet.

I’m actually not even on metformin now as it didn’t agree with me at all. Went on empagliflozin and I was getting light headed so I’ve actually not been on any medication now for around 4/5 months. My last blood test was “ok”. I just feel like symptoms are starting again but itching and numbness in hands ect is all new. I don’t necessarily think I have type 1 I’m just curious about symptoms and others who may of been diagnosed as 2 but actually 1.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
T1 and T2 have mostly the same symptoms. The only real difference is that T1s can get additional problems due to lack of insulin in their systems, namely weight loss and diabetic ketoacidosis, (though both of these can happen to T2s it is much much rarer).

My last blood test was “ok”. I just feel like symptoms are starting again but itching and numbness in hands ect is all new.
Your symptoms sound like the classic ones that go with too high blood sugar. I'd be concerned by a blood test that was "OK", as some GPs have widely different standards of OK and if you are getting hyperglycemic symptoms your levels are very unlikely to be OK. And 31 is way too young to accept a diagnosis of a progressive illness which will need more and more medication eventuating in insulin injections. Imagine if you were diagnosed with coeliac disease. You could live a perfectly normal life by avoiding gluten or gradually get sicker and sicker by continuing to eat gluten.

My advice would be to get a blood testing meter so you can find out what is actually happening. If you're T2 then you should be able to reduce or even normalise your readings by reducing the substance that your metabolism can't process properly ... carbohydrate. If it turns out you are T1 then your meter will warn you before you go into diabetic ketoacidosis and you'll be able to get the correct treatment (insulin).