Type 1 and having self harming thoughts?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys, I've been type 1 diabetic since Feb 2019 and I was struggling when I first got diagnosed, I had DKA and my blood sugars were really high so I spent the night in hospital. Once I was home it finally kicked in that I needed to test my bloods sugars and inject insulin every day for the rest of my life to keep me alive. I eventually got over that I was diabetic and I started a new job in July and it was all going well until a few weeks ago. My workplace know about my diabetes but I don't test my sugars or inject in front of anyone (not even my family) because I feel like I'm being a nuisance when I'm injecting I've been feeling down a lot and I've had thoughts about self harming. Has anyone else experienced this after being diagnosed? I don't know why I'm having these thoughts but I always think about the day I was diagnosed and I sit and cry in my room. Only my boyfriend and 2 of my friends know I've been having these thoughts.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
It's really really common for people to feel depressed and worse after a diabetic diagnosis. (Every time I see a nurse for diabetic care I get asked if I'm feeling OK/depressed etc etc and I've been diabetic for 49 years! I'm not depressed, because I've learnt to live with the condition, and it doesn't really stop me doing anything, but I've had periods in the past when I've not been happy.)

Luckily I've not experienced the self harming thing but I know that it's not uncommon and many (particularly young) diabetics go through the diabulimia thing (eating disorder where you control your weight by skipping insulin.) As you've already experienced a DKA you'll realise what a bad idea that is.

So, you're really young. I think it's much harder for young people to cope with depression because you haven't got as much experience of it (Not saying that young people don't have bad things happen, just that they usually haven't had decades of it.). I was badly bullied when I was 14 and I thought it would never get better, I remember despairing because I thought this. After several months things improved, and by the time I was 16 the bullying had ended, so after that I always had those feelings as a benchmark of how awful you could feel and still come out of it at the other end.

But, back to the diabetes. Firstly, well done for reaching out for help. You are not alone. And it's really good that you've got some friends at home that you can talk to about it.

My workplace know about my diabetes but I don't test my sugars or inject in front of anyone (not even my family) because I feel like I'm being a nuisance when I'm injecting

Injecting and/or testing is not being a nuisance. Would you mind if one of your friends or colleagues used an asthma inhaler in front of you? Unfortunately high and low blood sugars do bad things to your mental health as well as your physical, so my recommendation is that you try to learn to cope with injecting and testing in front of other people. It's bad enough having to do it, trying to find a private place and/or time to test/inject is just piling on the difficulty.

Is there anyone you could talk to at work about your worries? A colleague, if not your manager? I'd be very surprised if anyone was anything other than sympathetic to you, and it's a good idea for your workplace to know what to do if you get hypo. (Speaking as someone who once had her life saved by a work friend who saved me from a hypo.)

Anyway, lots of virtual hugs. Remember that managing diabetes is a marathon not a sprint. It's particularly hard for the first few months/years because there's just so much to get the hang of. But you'll always find someone to listen and talk on these forums. (Though probably not for a few hours now, as most of the UK folk are in bed. I'm in New Zealand, so it's day time for me.)

Reactions: Japes and Marie 2
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry about the late reply, been busy trying to manage myself. Spoke to my manager at work about my thoughts and she helped me by having a chat, I've been to the doctors and I've been given anti depressants so hopefully they can help me. Thank you for taking the time to reply to me, I really appreciate it.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Good to hear that you have some support. Hang on in there Abbie.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
Hey guys, I've been type 1 diabetic since Feb 2019 and I was struggling when I first got diagnosed, I had DKA and my blood sugars were really high so I spent the night in hospital. Once I was home it finally kicked in that I needed to test my bloods sugars and inject insulin every day for the rest of my life to keep me alive. I eventually got over that I was diabetic and I started a new job in July and it was all going well until a few weeks ago. My workplace know about my diabetes but I don't test my sugars or inject in front of anyone (not even my family) because I feel like I'm being a nuisance when I'm injecting I've been feeling down a lot and I've had thoughts about self harming. Has anyone else experienced this after being diagnosed? I don't know why I'm having these thoughts but I always think about the day I was diagnosed and I sit and cry in my room. Only my boyfriend and 2 of my friends know I've been having these thoughts.
I got diagnosed just before my 7th birthday.when I was 11-13 I hated it and still do I hated having to go to the nurses office and miss 5-10 mins. I don’t get in school why they never let you do it in the canteen. I hated lunch because of that. Because not many of my classmates moved and the bullying didn’t help. It got too much when I was 14 that I actually tried to kill myself as it felt like there was no hope or future (no one realises this Everyone still just thinks it was mistake) however because I took too much insulin I ended up in a diabetic coma, my mum didn’t even know that day until I didn’t come down to dinner. I was at least like that for 5 hours. If it wasn’t for my brother and neighbours I would be dead. I regretted as I missed my favourite PE Sport rounders and almost missed my year 10 work experience since I had to stay in hopsital for a week back. Afterwards i didn’t have great control as I didn’t want myself to do the same thing again as I was still annoyed. Eventually I started to get back on track but it got worse every time my mum told me to do it and I got put off again and then the same thing happened but I eventually get it back into control in my own time. I hate having my HbA1C results being high every time. Even recently I’ve been struggling the last couple of months and I’m trying to get it back on track but I know my next hba1c is going to be high
(I’m 20 by the way)

When I volunteer. I did mention it at first briefly but after that I don’t talk about it and I find it awkar if I have to leave in the middle of job to test. I suppose I’m afraid they’ll think I’m using it as an excuse. At my work they did know but then forgot till they read my records. This is a reason I wear a medical ID bracelet just Incase something happens when I’m volunteering working or cycling etc...

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You have to visualise who you want to be.

Do you want to be a person in charge of her life, enjoying every moment, strong, doing good things, having an impact? I'm sure you do. And you know what, it's possible.

Visualise that person. How does she do it? She tests and injects when she needs to, takes it seriously but barely notices that it's happening, is proud of who she is and what she achieves, looks forward to things she enjoys doing, and is relaxed with her friends and doesn't keep things bottled up.

Or whatever your version of that is.

My two cents:
  • You can accept, maybe embrace diabetes, but it still gets to you sometimes. Cry. Smash pumpkins. Hug a cat. Take a sick day. Get the emotions out of your system once in a while. But then get back on the horse and resume your zest for life.
  • I used to go to the bathroom to inject. Then I realised that 90% of the time people actually didn't notice when I was injecting right in front of them. I now inject discreetly pretty much anywhere and never had an ounce of trouble.
  • Antidepressants are overprescribed and should not be given to people who don't a history of depression. IMHO.
  • You need to be ready to "do whatever it takes" to turn your life around. Many people don't accept this until they really hit rock bottom. Try to learn those lessons from others so you can spare yourself.