Pomelo

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Are these alright to eat. I’m fed up with strawberries. Still eating bananas for breakfast at work. Just need to know about Pomelos Sainsbury’s now seem to sell them so I may get 1 a week.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Yet you eat bananas?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am ok with a small amount of pomelo. Wouldn't touch a banana though.

Reactions: mike@work

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What’s wrong with bananas?

A banana is full of sugar(s)...
Suits a T1 to treat a lesser hypo with, but not so good for a T2.

Edited to say: Noticed you are on Lantus, so if in hypoland, then banana OK, but I would not recommend it in any other case...

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, now I desperately want to taste a pomelo!

but at 59g carbs per fruit, I will make do with just one segment and offload the rest onto Mr B :D

Reactions: mike@work

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, now I desperately want to taste a pomelo!

but at 59g carbs per fruit, I will make do with just one segment and offload the rest onto Mr B :D

Kind of like a non sour grapefruit.. not overly sweet.
Can often be found in Asian supermarkets especially around Chinese New Year (hubs and I were regular consumers in the "bad old days")

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pomelo is a particular type of grapefruit, absolutely delicious on thai dishes, the skin makes a fantastic room fragrance and it’s tasty. 1-2 segments of it isn’t too bad, given that you and I wouldn’t eat an entire pomelo. My mum said the best way to buy a pomelo and know it is tasty is to buy the one that feels heavy. You know 1) it’s juicy so it has water weight and 2) it’ll be less bitter.

If you peel it and leave it out for a day, the skin will dry out so it’ll be easier to peel.

dipsydo

Well the amount of effort to peel and de pip a pomelo uses up quite a lot of calories and patience and requires a sharp knife . Personally I find a couple of slices enough, and I know we are all different but I find the ones shipped to the UK rather dry and they really they are best eaten in their native countries.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Last time I bought a pomelo it weighed a lot less than the 59g site suggests (they reckon it is over 600g in total, mine was less than 500g), and I cut it into 4 portions.
If you can eat bananas (many T2s find them too high) then half a pomelo should be fine.