34 weeks and running very low

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Since Sunday evening my bloods have been running very low for me with my daily average going from around 8 to 4.7. I've been unable to raise hypos and have not had my usual post meal spikes!

Saw the midwife today and all her checks were fine luckily.

I'm using the freestyle libre so decided to test using my finger prick. Libre said I had been having a hypo of 3.2 for almost 2 hours which I was unable to raise however finger prick said 6.5! I suddenly realised I change sensor on Sunday before all this started so could be a dodgy one. I replaced it this afternoon however the same low readings are occurring but this time more in line with finger prick readings!

Has anyone had any bouts of lower than normal readings and if so, did you have any reason ie illness, issues with baby etc? She said as long as baby is moving like usual she's not worried about placenta failure or anything sinister but it's just very very abnormal for me!

Reactions: deborabaratto

Cherith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been the same since about 33 weeks (I'm now 35wks) - been in constant contact with the diabetic team about it. Baby is totally fine, placenta has a few calcifications on it but nothing major. I feel totally exhausted from all the hypos (I'd have at least 2 a day even though I'm constantly taking down my basal rates on my pump.) The obs. isn't too happy that my insulin levels are dropping so much, so I just check my bloods constantly with my libre sensor and finger prick, write everything down - even how long it takes for a hypo to come up - and tell my diabetic Midwife everything. It can feel a bit scary though! But as long as baby is OK, I'm happy enough.

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just an update incase anyone looks back on this... hypos got progressively worse as last week went on so got admitted over the weekend for steroids. Have a scan tomorrow morning followed by a consultant review who's is going to decide whether we call it a day and bring things forward to Thursday!

Reactions: Cherith

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just an update incase anyone looks back on this... hypos got progressively worse as last week went on so got admitted over the weekend for steroids. Have a scan tomorrow morning followed by a consultant review who's is going to decide whether we call it a day and bring things forward to Thursday!

Well I had my children long before becoming diabetic so I greatly admire any ladies such as you managing it all. The very best to you. xx

Cherith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How did it all go for you?
My hypos stabilised for about a week, but have started again. Docs are saying that they used to really panic about it & especially if the placenta was deteriorating but now theyre a bit more chilled and take factors like the baby's movements and blood flow into higher consideration.

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
How did it all go for you?
My hypos stabilised for about a week, but have started again. Docs are saying that they used to really panic about it & especially if the placenta was deteriorating but now theyre a bit more chilled and take factors like the baby's movements and blood flow into higher consideration.

I had another appointment with the consultant today who didn't realise how much I have had to reduce by whilst still having hypos! I've gone from 20 units am and 22 pm to 8am and 14pm! They've brought my section forward to Friday as although the scans and blood flow are fine, she said I'll then be 37 weeks and doesn't want to push our luck any longer than necessary x

Reactions: Diakat