What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Just got caught up on all the posts. Had a crazy busy week at work, so missed quite a few of days.

@Chook -- It's so great to see you back. I've missed you. Hope your new way of eating works out for you and your blood sugars will get better soon.
@shelley262 -- Hugs for the return of your infected tooth. Keeping my fingers crossed that the antibiotics will do their job soon.
@Annb and @PenguinMum -- So sorry that you've caught a cold. It will definitely mess with blood sugar levels. Hope you'll feel better soon.
@ianpspurs and @Goonergal -- Hugs for the short night. Hope tonight will be better.

Today ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Late lunch: Half a DD keto roll with mayonnaise and gouda. Two tiny squares of homemade low-carb brownie. Chicken cracklings.

Still hungry, so had some low-carb maqluba (cauli rice, eggplant, onion, chick peas, quail, chicken broth, ghee, cinnamon and cummin), which I had prepared yesterday, with the last of the homemade yoghurt. Really very good, but will probably use less ghee next time.

Dinner: A bit of soft cheese, 60g of chicken liver pate and about 30g of shrimp. Two glasses of red wine.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
first time, so I just cooked them naked with salt.
Next time I shall start embellishing :D

how do you do them?

Either naked with salt, or marinade in olive oil/butter with garlic, herbs (usually thyme). Longer the marinade the better. I've also found they're pretty good cold too on the rare occasions I have some left :D

Reactions: ziggy_w

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today 26/11/19
Breakfast: normal low carb porridge with 100g greek yoghurt. Had to use pea protein powder, so not an enjoyable breakfast. should have my normal vanilla whey protein powder back soon.
Lunch: 170g butter lettuce, 160g ham from deli (tad more fatty then I would have liked), 25g cheese
Dinner: 200g fresh broccoli, 260g fresh cauliflower (both boiled), 250g extra lean beef mince burgers, 1 XL egg fried in 2g butter.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
[QUOTE="ziggy_w, post: 2174021, member: 3234.

Still hungry, so had some low-carb maqluba (cauli rice, eggplant, onion, chick peas, quail, chicken broth, ghee, cinnamon and cummin), which I had prepared yesterday, with the last of the homemade yoghurt. Really very good, but will probably use less ghee next time.
[/QUOTE]

I've never made maquba without the rice but I do like it. How does it work using cauliflower rice? I would have thought it would be too soggy. But you have inspired me to try. (If all else fails, it will make a cauliflower and chicken soup).

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE="ziggy_w, post: 2174021, member: 3234.

I've never made maquba without the rice but I do like it. How does it work using cauliflower rice? I would have thought it would be too soggy. But you have inspired me to try. (If all else fails, it will make a cauliflower and chicken soup).[/QUOTE]

Hi @Annb,

Tbh, mine was a bit soggy, but I believe it was because I used a bit too much ghee/butterfat as most ingredients were dry other than the water contained in the cauliflour and the small amount of garlic-ginger paste.

I started with frying a medium-sized onion in butterfat, then added one shredded cauliflower head. I then added chicken broth (in paste form), a teaspoon of garlic-ginger paste, salt, a bit of cinnamon and cummin, chick peas (optional as a bit more carby) and fried eggplant (personally prefer Japanese eggplant as it has a slightly lemony taste). Last, I added the fried chicken/quail on top and put the pot on low temperature (80 degrees) for about half an hour.

Next time I will probably put the shredded cauliflour and the eggplant in the oven first to get rid of some of the moisture.

Let me know if it works for you and what you did to prevent it from going soggy.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Hello from a miserable, rainy afternoon in this corner of Yorkshire. Must admit that after the flooding I'm always nervous when it rains now.

@Annb - Yes, I used to be good at admin, too. My problem is that Mr C hates to get rid of anything... ever.
@shelley262 - Big hug for your dental issues from me, too. Horrible for you x
@Goonergal - I hope the revised eating plan works too - it can't get much worse! Actually, having said that, it has got worse...
@Brunneria - I have never had a meal I enjoyed at Morrisons, something is always wrong - usually either over-cooked or stone cold. Yuck!
@ianpspurs - Good luck with getting back on track with food and exercise after your lovely holiday.
@DJC3 - I've often had lovely meals made with the leftovers from the previous week's shopping in the fridge - usually soup or a curry
@ziggy_w - Lovely to 'see' you too :) Your Maqlub sounds interesting and something I might enjoy (without the quail). I used to raise quail and they were a PITA - constantly escaping!

BG is REALLY awful today. I had a bit of a panic when it reached 13.6 at two hours after breakfast (a climb of 5.0 from before breakfast!!) but thankfully its going back down now. Its getting quite scary as it doesn't seem to matter what or when I eat (or if I don't eat at all) - its got a mind of its own.

So.... yesterday's food

Breakfast: Mozzarella chaffle with mixed spice in it (it tasted and smelled like Christmas mince pies) with butter plus diet pepsi with tablets and black coffee x 2

Mid morning: Decaff coffee

Lunch: cheddar, cherry tomatoes and cucumber slices plus water

lots more water during the afternoon

Dinner: Baked camembert with roast veg - sprouts and cauliflower - yet more water
'Dessert' was 2 discs of Lily O'Brien 70% choc (I'll be glad when its gone - it has a harsh edge and not nice aftertaste).

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook i found Lily O’Brian v disappointing, too.
Was given a box 2 years ago at xmas, and nearly binned it. Very little flavour.

today
B: a low carb choc fudge carb killa shake (another investigeratory exploration). Much nicer than expected.
L: mixed grill at Hungry Horse. Stuffed now.
Definitely won’t need D, but strangely I have been pootleing doing DIY, garden stuff and fish tanking, instead of digesting. Being carb free is ace.

oh, and my Deliciously Guilt Free order arrived.
Brownies, blondies and millionnaires. I shall, of course, freeze them all ready for xmas.

Yeah, right.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Chook yes - my hubby was a hoarder as well - must admit, I am too. I've been slowly, since he died, working through all the stuff we have here (taken over 2 years so far and nowhere near done). The house is full to bursting point and we really have no more space to put things into, so something has to give. I was not only good at admin - I taught it, along with management and IT. Now that has all (management skills - too out of date, I'm afraid and anything IT beyond 10 years ago) gone by the wayside, along with my memory for detail, which once was phenomenal and now has gone on a long holiday without me.

So - food. Finally felt that I could eat something about 4.30 (by which time my 10 FBG had risen to 12.5) after lots of tea and coffee (very thirsty due to my cold/sore throat) so I took a dish of vegetable hash out of the fridge and added some sliced tomato and then baked it with a couple of eggs. Quite full now. Shan't need anything, other than drinks, until tomorrow now.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Eating patterns still being dictated by work and don’t look like changing this week, so looks like breakfast mid-morning and dinner for the foreseeable.

Breakfast of bacon eggs and cheese.

Dinner of ribeye and a duck egg with a humongous yolk. Yum.

And a Facebook reminder of how my food intake has changed on this journey. Gadget confined to a cupboard and meal now completely off the menu (sauce too sweet and green stuff largely abandoned).

354B4F1E-753F-41F6-BF7A-88C8F62AD24C.jpeg
F17E0FB5-887B-45A4-A14A-EA1069849190.jpeg

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all.

Eating patterns still being dictated by work and don’t look like changing this week, so looks like breakfast mid-morning and dinner for the foreseeable.

Breakfast of bacon eggs and cheese.

Dinner of ribeye and a duck egg with a humongous yolk. Yum.

And a Facebook reminder of how my food intake has changed on this journey. Gadget confined to a cupboard and meal now completely off the menu (sauce too sweet and green stuff largely abandoned).

View attachment 36925 View attachment 36926

The rib eye with duck's egg looks fantastic.

Do you find the spiralizer useful? I have 3 of them - a tiny, hand-held one, a manual one and an electric one. All of them now confined to the cupboard. I kept thinking "if I buy a bigger/better one, it might be useful" but, really, I can't be bothered with them. I did use the electric one to make citrus peel for candying, but don't really need to do that so it and the de-humidifier which I also used for that, are now out of use.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Not too happy with FBG last two days despite frugal carbs.
Today: breakfast: Slice LivLife toast, thick butter, tea x2.
Lunch: Chicken soup.
Supper: Teriyaki salmon and green rice.
Having G&ST as I type.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Picked up Leek & Bacon mini fritatas in Sainsburys party range and have been impressed. They come in sturdy foil trays to bake though you can eat cold. The trays could be reused and the good thing is each fritata is 1.8g carbs. I usually do my own party food but these are worth a go.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The rib eye with duck's egg looks fantastic.

Do you find the spiralizer useful? I have 3 of them - a tiny, hand-held one, a manual one and an electric one. All of them now confined to the cupboard. I kept thinking "if I buy a bigger/better one, it might be useful" but, really, I can't be bothered with them. I did use the electric one to make citrus peel for candying, but don't really need to do that so it and the de-humidifier which I also used for that, are now out of use.

I don’t use the spiralizer at all anymore as I rarely eat veg. I did find it useful when I bought it, but used it mostly for making a carrier for bolognese sauce, which became too sweet for me fairly rapidly after going keto (tomatoes way too sweet, especially cooked). So it served a purpose and probably needs to go to the charity shop now.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m another on the list of frustratingly high bg today, a pain really as my HbA1c and cholesterol blood tests are tomorrow. 11:10 am a bit late for a fasting test but never mind.
CWC first thing
Lunch was LoDough wrap containing tuna, mayo, avocado and spinach. DGF browned butter and peanut Blondie &cream.
Dinner: steak, halloumi chips, mushrooms and salad with oo.
Mr C choked on his dinner at one point - very scary for all he finally recovered and grumbled ‘I wouldn’t mind but it was the salad I choked on, I’m sticking to meat from now on’....another carnivore is made!

Good tip about the JS party food @PenguinMum thanks.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast was exercise bike (shower) then tea. Pottered around Dobbies (those house elves have done well for themselves) had a soya latte in Costa and was bought the 12 days of Christmas socks from fatface, yesterday was bought a Waitrose cheese advent calendar. Lunch was a big avocado and mackerel salad + chia seeds and linseeds with about 1 oz gouda at 3.20. Evening will be skinny bread toast and butter with football to follow. Signed up for 5 sessions of weights with a PT which seems far more likely to see me through winter than LC food. @DJC3 best wishes for tests tomorrow. I need to make my appointments but I'm in no hurry to spoil my good mood lately.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast scrambled eggs
Lunch - made some delicious chicken soup in my IP( I really don’t use my IP much compared to my slow cooker but it’s invaluable for stock and soup. I started off with frozen chicken thighs and veg and had amazing soup an hour and a half later)
Dinner Cajun chicken breast followed by sf lemon and lime jelly with yoghurt and cream. ( keeping up with bio yoghurt to support my good bacteria protect itself from my second dose of penicillin- well I hope so.
Dentist first thing tomorrow but simply to have impression made then just a week and a bit to the dreaded extraction!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m another on the list of frustratingly high bg today, a pain really as my HbA1c and cholesterol blood tests are tomorrow. 11:10 am a bit late for a fasting test but never mind.
CWC first thing
Lunch was LoDough wrap containing tuna, mayo, avocado and spinach. DGF browned butter and peanut Blondie &cream.
Mr C choked on his dinner at one point - very scary for all he finally recovered and grumbled ‘I wouldn’t mind but it was the salad I choked on, I’m sticking to meat from now on’....another carnivore is made!

Good luck with the tests @DJC3

Reactions: DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
CWC first thing

Good luck with the hba1c and other tests. I am confident you will be good. I am due mine before Christmas so will have to cross fingers and toes!