HBA1c now 124

myracat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ah, that's interesting! Thanks for that! He couldn't remember what it was last time and he has been on the {new drug} Pioglitazone since then so he must have assumed they were working! I don't keep a tight rein on him so I assumed it was working

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
WOW 124 is VERY high. Some of the foods which he has been told is fine to eat is really bad! GP nurses really have no idea on diabetes at all!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I am a Thin Outside, Fat Inside (TOFI) Type 2 diabetic, as are several others who regularly post in these forums. I think we account for around 10% of the total number of Type 2 diabetics, but that may be higher than that since we are often undiagnosed because of our normal weight.

I got similar contradictory and just plain stupid advice upon diagnosis - I had already been eating the way they suggested( high 'good' carb and very low fat) for the previous 10 yrs or so. Fortunately I realised that doing more of the same was not going to change anything, so I searched online and fount this site, found Dr David Unwin and all the evidence for going Low Carb.

I decided that there were only 2 proven lifestyles that worked for controlling Type 2 by food alone:
1.Dieting/Fasting
2. Eating Low Carb

Since I was not overweight I decided not to restrict calories - so this meant I had to do Low Carb High Fat ( despite having had a 3x Coronary Bypass while still on that stupid High Carb very Low Fat so called healthy way of eating). I now eat lots of food my Doctors old me to avoid, yet my blood tests, energy and overall health have improved. I have never had to go hungry - I just eat as much as I need (no greed allowed).
Despite being slim to start with I was still over 2 and a half stone heavier than in my late teens. I have lost 1stone 9 lbs of that ( so I am not 'too thin' and by HbA1C is now in the pre-diabetic range.

Unfortunately you can't force somebody to make lifestyle changes, or even to act in their best interests - don't try too hard or you risk ruining your relationship.

I didn't like pricking my fingers several times per day either. But when it comes to a choice between that and the alternatives (injecting Insulin) or blindness and amputation - it is an easy decision to make!

Reactions: Redshank

Cookie1954

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
something/one that disturbs the flow
I am new on here, but can understand your dilemma..

Ellenor2000

Undiagnosed type 1 is no joke. Perhaps have him test urinary ketones and if they're large, take him to the A&E or another doctor that will give a $&#.

myracat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am a Thin Outside, Fat Inside (TOFI) Type 2 diabetic, as are several others who regularly post in these forums. I think we account for around 10% of the total number of Type 2 diabetics, but that may be higher than that since we are often undiagnosed because of our normal weight.

I got similar contradictory and just plain stupid advice upon diagnosis - I had already been eating the way they suggested( high 'good' carb and very low fat) for the previous 10 yrs or so. Fortunately I realised that doing more of the same was not going to change anything, so I searched online and fount this site, found Dr David Unwin and all the evidence for going Low Carb.

I decided that there were only 2 proven lifestyles that worked for controlling Type 2 by food alone:
1.Dieting/Fasting
2. Eating Low Carb

Since I was not overweight I decided not to restrict calories - so this meant I had to do Low Carb High Fat ( despite having had a 3x Coronary Bypass while still on that stupid High Carb very Low Fat so called healthy way of eating). I now eat lots of food my Doctors old me to avoid, yet my blood tests, energy and overall health have improved. I have never had to go hungry - I just eat as much as I need (no greed allowed).
Despite being slim to start with I was still over 2 and a half stone heavier than in my late teens. I have lost 1stone 9 lbs of that ( so I am not 'too thin' and by HbA1C is now in the pre-diabetic range.

Unfortunately you can't force somebody to make lifestyle changes, or even to act in their best interests - don't try too hard or you risk ruining your relationship.

I didn't like pricking my fingers several times per day either. But when it comes to a choice between that and the alternatives (injecting Insulin) or blindness and amputation - it is an easy decision to make!

myracat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you porl69 for your positive advice. We went to the surgery today to get a GP appt but have been told to phone after 6 tomorrow as there are none available so he has gone off to work. Apparently they said yesterday to book a GP appt but he couldn't get one until the end of December

jessica1612

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Take him to a +e. They will test him for type 1 if his blood sugar is really high. I was treated as type 2 incorrectly for 3 years. Eventually had to go in as emergency as blood was so high. Diagnosed as type 1 at 58. Gps never listen they think we are all stupid. Diabetes team in hospital told me if hba1c is above 100 they assume type 1 straight away and start on insulin.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@myracat what was the outcome of your phone appointment? Has the surgery started to offer your husband the support and treatment that he needs?

As I understand it, if he is T2 then he has two (v simplified) choices
- change his way of eating drastically, and see if he can not increase or reduce his medications, or
- continue eating the way he does and see a steady escalation of medication up to and including insulin

If he turns out to be T1, then the sooner his doctor tests him for it and gets him the appropriate treatment (insulin) the better.
Delaying starting insulin at his HbA1c will, over time, lead to ill health and diabetic complications.

Unfortunately, whichever type of diabetes he has, if he needs high levels of medication, particularly insulin, then testing his blood glucose levels will be a necessary part of life.

I really feel for both of you. It sounds like he is angry and not accepting his situation, and taking it out on you, so both of you must be having a really hard time.

All I can do is urge you STRONGLY to insist on seeing a medical professional (doc, nurse, or endocrinologist) who doesn't fob you off with pointless bad advice about pastry and not testing. Both of those pieces of advice will do far more harm than good.

Claire23280

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Putting on weight
I would say his BMI is very low. He has got a blood glucose reading machine but he says it makes his fingers sore. Someone needs to give him a shake but he wont listen to me!
Print a list of complications including leg ulcers then he just might start changing ..

Lehany73

I'm also a skinny type2 and can't afford to be loosing any weight. Just dropped from 68kg to 64 trying to reduce my Carb intake to bring BG down to a reasonable level. I was also 120 Hba1c and now down to 67.

I'm on Metformin and Gliclazide which wasn't really doing much until I drastically cut the carbs which then started unwanted weight loss. But after reading through several threads on this forum I have recently found some alternatives that are really helping. FF yogurt with chopped seeds/nuts and some berries for breakfast when I'm at work and lot's of sausage, eggs and bacon when I'm not. Nice homemade soups for lunch and more fatty meat's witch certain veg's for dinner. I try to eat bigger portions at meal times and cut out the snacks in between. There are good sugar free sweets out there for a sweet treat but dbl check for carb content.

The best thing I can recommend is to invest in a Freestyle Libre sensor. This really shocked me at first as I thought I was being really healthy by having porridge and eating lot's of fruit but the sensor showed it was doing me no favours. With the sensor you can work on what foods have little BG impact and will really help with your OH's diet programme. It's a worth while investment

Best of luck