Metformin for life??

Kreade1958

I was diagnosed in March when hba1c was 6.8. Just had repeat and 7%. Told I am going to be on Metformin now 'for life'. Are they kidding?! Now looking at box of tablets thinking I dont even want to start them. Do I have to take? I'd rather do this with lifestyle changes. Soon as I have my knee fixed I'll be able to exercise more. But it's as though o hopeless case, get the meds out

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Kreade1958 and welcome.

You’ve come to the best place for advice and support. As a starting point, please have a look at this link with lots of useful information for those newly diagnosed: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

Do have a good read and ask as many questions as you like.

To answer your question directly, it is entirely your decision whether to take any prescribed medication having weighed up the pros and cons. You’ll find a variety of views about metformin on here, but for my part, I chose not to take it, preferring to see if I could make lifestyle changes.

Full details are in my signature, but short version, I started with an HbA1c of 108 (12%] and was able to get that down to non diabetic levels (38 - or 5.6%) within 6 months. I’ve maintained non diabetic levels ever since using a diet very low in carbohydrates. I do also exercise assuming (and from your post that’s what I deduce) you have been diagnosed type 2 and are not on any medication other than the prescribed metformin for your diabetes, then diet will have the single biggest impact on your blood sugar levels.

If this interests you, have a look around the low carb section of this forum and also at dietdoctor.com which has a huge resource of advice, menus and recipes.

Do keep us posted on what you decide and how you get on.

Reactions: Tophat1900

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm afraid I agree with @Goonergal , diet is going to make far more difference than exercise as regards to blood sugars.

My guess is that the NHS nurse will have told you to eat a "healthy" diet, with plenty of fruit and vegetables and low gi carbohydrates. The NHS attitude to T2 diabetes appears to be that it is a "progressive" illness, and the progression can be slowed by diet and exercise.

But there are many many folk on these boards who've gone medication free with far higher levels than yours, but they've all had to go low carb to do it. (I'm sure there are some who've managed just by losing weight, but I can't think of anyone off hand.) So have a think about whether you're prepared to do that, and if you aren't, you'd be well advised to take the metformin, which has been around for a very long time and, as long as you don't get stomach issues, is pretty safe.

Good luck.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree with the other posts. Exercise is always good but a low-carb diet will have the most effect. Metformin is a good, safe drug with other protective effects. It only ever has a small effect on blood sugar but GPs tend to worship it. The plain version can cause stomach upsets for a while for some people. If you do have that after a week or so, do ask for the Slow Release version Metformin SR.

PeterHud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am on the SR Metformin and no longer take insulin and got my hbc1a down to 37 and don't go overboard on carbs and watch the sugar intake. I don't need to diet or I would vanish .

I take Metformin as it does have other benefits . If you take after a meal it cuts down on side effects and they don't last long as your body gets used to it.

But in the end it's your choice.

Reactions: EllieM

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I eat Low Carb as a lifestyle (not a diet as such). I wasn't overweight when diagnosed as Type 2 Diabetic, so I decided not to consciously restrict calories - just restrict Carbs.
In order to do this I eat more fats and Oils than before:
Eggs, hard cheese, full fat yogurt, double cream, avocado, tree nuts, fatty fish and fatty cuts of meat.

I still lost some weight because I was Thin Outside, Fat Inside. But my focus was always on the Blood Glucose levels - not on my weight and according to the looser definitions of Type 2 remission I have achieved it.