Hbac1 vs fasting bg

Paulm80

Hi all, so my hbac1 is 32 ( very happy with that) however still getting fasting readings of prediabetic. This isn’t always the case - sometimes I wake up to 4s more often than not it’s mid 5s however more than I like I wake up to 5.7 - 5.8 sometimes even 6!
Generally during the day I run in mid to late 4s to early 5s and rarely leave 5s after eating.
So assuming my next hbac1 comes in similar dr says she will class me as in remission - can you really be in remission if your fasting numbers are numbers are still in this range ?
Or should I just concern myself with the hbac1?
Would a non diabetic person sometimes wake up to prediabetic numbers?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
however still getting fasting readings of prediabetic

Not really sure what you mean by this..?

Would a non diabetic person sometimes wake up to prediabetic numbers

Possibly but how many non diabetics do you know who would ever think to measure their fasting blood glucose for days on end and record them so we would know?

Your HbA1c results are great you are obviously in the "normal" range for most of the day with rare excursions to higher levels in the morning.. but looking at your other readings you are fine. I think you can rest assured that th e likelihood of your suffering any complications at the moment are extremely small to non-existent.

Congratulations!

Reactions: Paulm80

Paulm80

Possibly but how many non diabetics do you know who would ever think to measure their fasting blood glucose for days on end and record them so we would know?

Your HbA1c results are great you are obviously in the "normal" range for most of the day with rare excursions to higher levels in the morning.. but looking at your other readings you are fine. I think you can rest assured that th e likelihood of your suffering any complications at the moment are extremely small to non-existent.

Congratulations!

Thanks , it’s just I read somewhere that your fasting fasting bg needs to be below 5.6 to be considered in remission ?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks , it’s just I read somewhere that your fasting fasting bg needs to be below 5.6 to be considered in remission ?
As Bulkbiker has said, most of your results are excellent. Many writers consider that the after-meal readings are the most important, more so than fasting or A1c. Your higher morning fasting readings could be due to the "dawn phenomenon" or even the "feet on the floor" phenomenon. Presumably these readings are of short duration, otherwise they would lead to worse A1c results. To know what is really happening in the night, you would either have to wake up at eg 4am and test, or splurge about £50 on a Libre sensor, which would show you (for about 14 days) more or less exactly what goes on bg-wise while you sleep (and at all other times).

Alternatively, have you considered the timing and content of your last meal of the day? Does this make a difference to your fasting bg the next day? This is a real pain to do, but some of us eat our largest, most carby meal around lunch-time and our last meal before 6pm, or even earlier.

Finally, even if the Dr classes you as in remission, IMO everyone should check their bgs at least once a year just in case. It is said that 1 in 10 of the over 40s is diabetic or pre-diabetic and doesn't know it. So much better to find out early.

Paulm80

As Bulkbiker has said, most of your results are excellent. Many writers consider that the after-meal readings are the most important, more so than fasting or A1c. Your higher morning fasting readings could be due to the "dawn phenomenon" or even the "feet on the floor" phenomenon. Presumably these readings are of short duration, otherwise they would lead to worse A1c results. To know what is really happening in the night, you would either have to wake up at eg 4am and test, or splurge about £50 on a Libre sensor, which would show you (for about 14 days) more or less exactly what goes on bg-wise while you sleep (and at all other times).

Alternatively, have you considered the timing and content of your last meal of the day? Does this make a difference to your fasting bg the next day? This is a real pain to do, but some of us eat our largest, most carby meal around lunch-time and our last meal before 6pm, or even earlier.

Finally, even if the Dr classes you as in remission, IMO everyone should check their bgs at least once a year just in case. It is said that 1 in 10 of the over 40s is diabetic or pre-diabetic and doesn't know it. So much better to find out early.

Yeah i don’t stay high for long, generally rarely go into 6s at all, I generally have a decent lunch a snack at 5 then tea around 8, carb wise most of the times around 20g never exceed 50g, more than happy with my numbers it’s just the morning one I find very frustrating sometimes.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure that here in the UK FBG is ever used as a means of diagnosis.. if you have only been low carb since June then you could well still see slightly elevated FBG levels.. I've been doing this for years but still get mid 5's sometimes.. and it took a good 6 months before my FBG readings went below 7 I think.. you should be fine.

Paulm80

Congratulations!

Also that’s very true about non diabetics are not gonna test! And a fbg of 5.8 is considered pre diabetes ? Or am I wrong??

Paulm80

Not sure that here in the UK FBG is ever used as a means of diagnosis.. if you have only been low carb since June then you could well still see slightly elevated FBG levels.. I've been doing this for years but still get mid 5's sometimes.. and it took a good 6 months before my FBG readings went below 7 I think.. you should be fine.

Thankyou, and like you said non diabetics don’t generally test anyway so not sure why that number is relevant

Reactions: bulkbiker

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
however more than I like I wake up to 5.7 - 5.8 sometimes even 6!

How do you know for sure that the 5.7 , 5.8 are accurate? The meters are only accurate to +/- %15 .
So your 5.8 -- 6 could easily be 5.1 -- 5.3 and your 4 something could also be 5.1