Newly diagnosed 6mth hba1c test

Evie-D

I was diagnosed at the end of April with an hba1c of 96. Three months later and it was 41. The doctor agreed to cut my metformin to two a day from four. I had my 6 monthly blood test on Friday and my doctor phoned me today with the hb1ac result of 39. I’m so excited. I’ve now lost nearly 5 stone on LCHF and the Dr has agreed to letting me stop all medication and retest in three months time.

The only thing was he mentioned taking a statin as he thought my cholesterol was a little high but I’ve declined. I’ve no other health issues.

Thank you to all the support on this website. I certainly couldn’t have done it without this website and its contributors, and am eternally grateful that I found it when first diagnosed.

Xxx

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant news and amazing results well done to you for taking control of your health!

Reactions: Evie-D

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fantastic new on HbA1c and weight loss, keep up the good work!

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed at the end of April with an hba1c of 96. Three months later and it was 41. The doctor agreed to cut my metformin to two a day from four. I had my 6 monthly blood test on Friday and my doctor phoned me today with the hb1ac result of 39. I’m so excited. I’ve now lost nearly 5 stone on LCHF and the Dr has agreed to letting me stop all medication and retest in three months time.

The only thing was he mentioned taking a statin as he thought my cholesterol was a little high but I’ve declined. I’ve no other health issues.

Thank you to all the support on this website. I certainly couldn’t have done it without this website and its contributors, and am eternally grateful that I found it when first diagnosed.

Xxx

This is awe inspiring. What fantastic results. Are you LCHF with a limit on cals/and or carbs? Do you fast at all?

Thank you

Reactions: Evie-D and jjraak

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Congratulations, do you have details of your latest Cholesterol results?
LCHF usually raises HDL and Lowers Triglycerides (both very good), but especially during the weight loss phase it can raise the LDL.

Higher LDL is not necessarily a risk factor( the Triglyceride/HDL is much more so). However in many cases once the weight stabilises, then the LDL figure also comes back down.

It is up to you as to whether you feel comfortable taking Statins (in some cases they raise Blood Glucose in addition to the other well-known side-effects such as muscle pain and brain fog).

Evie-D

This is awe inspiring. What fantastic results. Are you LCHF with a limit on cals/and or carbs? Do you fast at all?

Thank you

I don’t count calories at all which I’ve found to be liberating. I was focusing on the effects of blood sugar and have treated the weight loss as a side effect of the diet. It’s slowed a little but is still coming off. I weighed 18st 2lb at the end of April but now weigh 13st 6lb. I feel that it is the reduction in the bg levels that improved my health more than the weight loss if that makes any sense.

My carb intake varies from around 50g to 70g per day and I don’t fast although I don’t eat if I’m not hungry. I have 3 meals a day but no carbs at lunchtime . I’m still learning and adapting and am trying various different low carb recipes to find new favourite foods to replace old ones. I’m also lucky in that I’ve a supportive family and so far have managed to adapt meals that we can all enjoy. Also I no longer crave which is an added bonus.

The important thing for me though is that if I hadn’t found this website I may well have not been able to achieve these results

Reactions: marathonmona

Evie-D

Congratulations, do you have details of your latest Cholesterol results?
LCHF usually raises HDL and Lowers Triglycerides (both very good), but especially during the weight loss phase it can raise the LDL.

Higher LDL is not necessarily a risk factor( the Triglyceride/HDL is much more so). However in many cases once the weight stabilises, then the LDL figure also comes back down.

It is up to you as to whether you feel comfortable taking Statins (in some cases they raise Blood Glucose in addition to the other well-known side-effects such as muscle pain and brain fog).

My total Cholesterol had increased slightly to 6.6 but my ‘ratio’ according to my gp was 4.8.
I’ve refused the statin because I’d rather control the blood sugar and felt that I was being offered it because I was diabetic and not necessarily that it was right for me. I’ve never had any heart issues and my total cholesterol has always been in the 5 to 6 range which never bothered my gp previously. I did say to him that I expected it to settle down once the weight loss stopped and he seemed fine.

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I don’t count calories at all which I’ve found to be liberating. I was focusing on the effects of blood sugar and have treated the weight loss as a side effect of the diet. It’s slowed a little but is still coming off. I weighed 18st 2lb at the end of April but now weigh 13st 6lb. I feel that it is the reduction in the bg levels that improved my health more than the weight loss if that makes any sense.

My carb intake varies from around 50g to 70g per day and I don’t fast although I don’t eat if I’m not hungry. I have 3 meals a day but no carbs at lunchtime . I’m still learning and adapting and am trying various different low carb recipes to find new favourite foods to replace old ones. I’m also lucky in that I’ve a supportive family and so far have managed to adapt meals that we can all enjoy. Also I no longer crave which is an added bonus.

The important thing for me though is that if I hadn’t found this website I may well have not been able to achieve these results

Fantastic. That’s a lot of weight you’ve lost, even for six months!

I agree, this forum is great. I’ve learnt so much. I’m counting carbs too just feel I’m losing weight so slowly.

Anyway, like you said, it’s about bringing the sugar levels down and then waiting for fewer cravings and weight loss.

HbA1C was 83 at the start of September and I asked to be retested mid December.

Well done again.

X