Feel old before my time

mrssmurf2

Hi

I have wrote a couple of thread before but just want a moan really :D

I am 34 and was diagnosed with Type 2 last year. I have just got my levels under resonable control after taking medication. Having done this I was really pleased with myself.
Two week ago I was out with my husband and felt all weird and weak down one side. We got a taxi to the hospital and was told I had a small stroke. I was so upset.
They also informed me I had high chlestrol and bloods pressure. They have put me on an extra 4 types of tablets for the extra problems.
When I was in the hospital I was observing the other people on the stroke ward and wondered how my health had got so bad I ended up on there.
I have a strong family history my Dad died of an heart attack and my Mum a stroke and they were both 57. They were overweight and did not look after themselves ery well. I have elevated BMI but am relatively active and eat LOADS of fruit and not much sugary fatty foods.I am not saying I dont have my moments of fish and chips, but it not at all to excess.

Does anyone else have this experience of a strong family history and do they believe it is due to that? I am trying to lose some weight and be more active but it just feels sometimes that it is just how it will always be.

Fallenstar

Hi Mr Smurph

I am really sorry you have gone through this, it must have been very scary for you so a virtual hug.

I have a very poor family history for Heart disease , My Father has had 4 heart attack he has low cholesterol and as thin as a stick...on My Mums side her fathers side were all dead of heart disease in their 50's and she has had a Bypass and had Angina..she is also thin and active but has had VERY high Cholesterol.
My Brother had stents put in at 45 he is very fit, thin and active.So you can see, along with my Type 1 Diabetes it's all Genetically a bit stacked against me :( :lol:
5 years back when my brother got the stents it was a bit of a wake up call for me and I got FIT...I changed my whole lifestyle , I eat super clean now...no alcohol, not bad fats, lowish carbs but only the good ones and I started running...Well I'm like Forest Gump now. I just never stopped.
I have had artery scans and various heart tests and my arteries are as clean as a whistle,thanks to the Statins and my resting pulse rate and working pulse rate is that of an athlete ,believe me when I decided to get a grip I looked and felt like :mrgreen: With appalling labs.
So take control, take small steps to make changes and go for it...It is amazing how you can totally change labs around and your health with diet and exercise.
You will need the support of your health team doing this with what you have been through so do get that and start easy, but believe me you will achieve it if you put the effort in and at 34 whatever your family Health history you are certainly not ready for the knackers yard yet lady!
Hey and well done you for getting your Diabetes under control, that is a major achievement in it's self....it's onwards and upwards now Hun :D
PS How I see it I might have a heart attack on one of my runs, but I reckon at least I'll look **** hot in the coffin, me like that a lottie :lol:

mrssmurf2

Awwh thanks for your message Fallen it was really nice. Its a shame when there is so much illness in one family, but you have a really positive attitude.
That is my thinking og getting fit, I am going seeing my GP tommorrow for advice on how much to do and how often etc. I have bought a cross trainer from ebay so that should help. I would love to go running but after spending £50 on a really good sports bra unfiortunately my big knockers still seem to get in the way and hurt ha ha they dont seem to go in time with my feet so I lose momentum ha ha
I think I will look into counting carbs because I do tend to eat a lot of bread (granary but bread all the same). My husband had chrons disease so it always been a bit expensive cooking two different things cos he can't have much veg but I suppose it is just trying to find a work around.
Many thanks again for your post

Fallenstar

If you are challenged in the Nork department..I may be able to help, well not litrally :lol:

Enell sports bras are the BEST for big busts, It's like having your own scaffolding department down your t-shirt...go online to Lessbounce.com a great site.

Good luck :D

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Fallenstar said:
Enell sports bras are the BEST for big busts, It's like having your own scaffolding department down your t-shirt...go online to Lessbounce.com a great site.

In the interest of science, I decided to review the lessbounce.com website. I can confirm that it is indeed a great website. :D

Yours sincerely

Stephen

mrssmurf2

Hi Whitby

The hospital took my HBA1c they didn't say what it was but I presume it was ok. I know when I have been doing my BG tests at home they have been ok.
Not sure about the transfats my cholestrol was 9.
Thanks for the article very kind of you I shall have a read.