Unexplained lows!

Daniel B 72

Hi all, am new to this group, but not a new diabetic. I've been type 1 32 years; fairly well controlled, thought id experienced everything thus far!

(I am in contact with my DN, but won't communicate again till tmr.)

Im on novorapid and twice daily lantus. I have a libre, and my old sturdy aviva expert as a backup. Im pretty confident after 32 years i know how to count every variation of carbs accurately.

Wednesday night i woke at about 11pm after an earlier than normal night with a hypo of 2.3, following normal hypo treatment and a little extra i went back to bed, to only awake again 90 mins or so later. The same thing continued throughout the night, i assumed id accidentally double dosed either my tea time novorapid or bedtime lantus. After running a little higher through Thursday and being extremely careful with injections exactly the same thing happened Thursday night. My DN suggested reduction in both basals and a small reduction bolus to keep my hypo free over the weekend. I've done that but last night i went low again?

Am fairly sure all my injection sites are fine, and am now on at least 25% less lantus than a week ago, yet am still hypoing overnight? It just doesnt add up????

Has anyone else struggled with similar???

Yours frustrated and feeling shattered

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Changes in weather affect my basal needs (but not to that extent I guess). Had you been more active? Might of course be just one of those diabetic moments.
Set an alarm for the hypo times tonight to check how you are doing.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I think some people have experienced problems with lows off and on from Lantus.

But I can go in streaks of my insulin sensitivity. I have gone a few nights with being woken up by alarms because of lows followed by lows all the next day. It just seems to happen off and on. Less fat eaten, more exercise, less food who knows.

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sometimes "it just happens." Probably a hormonal shift or something like that.

Count yourself lucky that it only happens to you once in a while. There were times my insulin sensitivities wouldn't keep still and from time to time I needed to halve my basal for no apparent reason. I learned to do it fast because hypos are very dangerous for me.

Reactions: Marie 2